• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Head Port

be careful that you don't screw up your head. Here's what was done to mine. 2" Intake, 1.55" exhaust, manley swirl polished tulip valves. Original application is LS1. This is on a 4.7 stroker.

Yeah I've actually never ported a head. I've only watched someone do it lol. I'm kinda leery of doing it myself but the stock job really looks like crap to me. Did you just match both the intake and exhaust to gasket or did you put the header and intake on with the dye? Also, did you have to blend the runners when you did the LS1 valves?

Yeah I've actually never ported a head. I've only watched someone do it lol. I'm kinda leery of doing it myself but the stock job really looks like crap to me. Did you just match both the intake and exhaust to gasket or did you put the header and intake on with the dye? Also, did you have to blend the runners when you did the LS1 valves?

Match the head and manifold to the gasket. You spray on the dye, then put the gasket in place and scribe the ports. The dye helps the lines show up. When match-porting, just blend in 1/2-1" of the port. Don't go deeper unless you know what you are doing.

Match the head and manifold to the gasket.

Only do that on the intake ports & manifold runners.
DON'T gasket match the exhaust ports 'cause they'll become too big and you could get reversion of spent exhaust gases back into the cylinders during valve overlap.

Ok thanks for help guys. I'll just do the intake and manifold. I was lookin at the intake just now and it has a pretty big casting/rough spot right in front of each injector port. Is it ok to trim that down or should I leave that to help with the fuel?

I got a friend who ports heads, and I can tell ya, if you don't have access to a flow bench, it's a crap shoot if you will help or hurt flow.

And when you gasket match the intake ports, make SURE you have a way to get the gasket in the EXACT same place every time, and the intake to the head in the EXACT same place - bolt holes don't work well - or you WILL mess things up.

If you do a beautiful & functional job on port matching, and you can't get the gasket & intake in the right place when you torque it all down, you just wasted your time.

Well now the question becomes is it even worth my time on a daily driver 4.7? I mean what kind of gains would I be looking at if it was done properly? My original plan was just a good 3 angle valve job, mopar valve springs and retainers, and a mild cam from jones cams. Should I just leave it?

It's worth your time. Yes you can blend those injector bosses:
p5110016.jpg

Also, I noticed better breathing and response from the 65mm in/68mm out 4.7l v8 tb(had a 62mm half-shaft prior), so you might want to open up the tb hole while it is off. Look on ebay for the 4.7l v8 tb adapter plate.

Last edited:
Also, I noticed better breathing and response from the 65mm in/68mm out 4.7l v8 tb(had a 62mm half-shaft prior), so you might want to open up the tb hole while it is off. Look on ebay for the 4.7l v8 tb adapter plate.

I have the adaptor and a couple of 4.7 TBs but see no way to connect them to the XJ's linkage.
What are you using for the linkage.
Neither 4.7 TB has an arm for the AW4's transmission cable, nor is the throtte or cruise control connections anywhere near usable, plus the cable ends are different.
Is there a kit or link to how this is these TBs can be used with the XJ's existing throttle, cruise and transmission cables?
Yes, I have searched.

I have a manual, non-cruise control setup, so I welded the 4.0's tb nipple on the outside(didn't have to fool with the 4.7's tb return spring)and re-routed the throttle cable through my empty cruise control port on the bracket:
fce12297f3114df5c045390b23364301.jpg
6c29a2b8f331b600c3548a4256a346ae.jpg

Last edited:
Much room to sexy things up there. Or as we call it in SoCal, Russ it up. ;)

IMG_20140103_203002587_zpsz1aityxv.jpg

IMG_20140103_203009506_zpska6geglg.jpg

IMG_20140103_203029471_zps5azmhu0j.jpg

IMG_20140103_203324557_zpsoxkmrnvf.jpg

IMG_20140103_203305895_zps1i6qw3vn.jpg

Back