• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Experts, share your wisdom!

I'd pull the mains and see how bad it is. You might get lucky and just get the crank polished or ground. Slap some bearings in and you're good to go. Makes sense now that your oil pressure had increased so much.

Take pictures of the tear-down! I have never seen a spun bearing.

One ton, My 318 that is .040 over with a Hughes cam, mopar performance heads, and edlebroke headers brings the slowness.

One ton, My 318 that is .040 over with a Hughes cam, mopar performance heads, and edlebroke headers brings the slowness.

My stock 95 ZJ moved pretty well...stock 5.9 move well...but they are mostly torque stock ....maybe you want too much from a mild built motor ?...they say how fast do wanna go..
How much do you wanna spend ?

I'm guessing running on his side .

I think it was mostly this...

But I also have been feeling like the motor was struggling more than usual after it sat for about 2 years (2 years ago). It had never had problems before, but after the long sitting, it had a hard time passing emissions and sounded like it was working harder than it used to if that makes any sense. I wasn't planning on storing it for that long, it just worked out that way, so I didn't do any prep to it. I wonder if it was something building up on me and I put the nail in its coffin with the last trip to Carnage? It could have also been my ridiculously heavy H1 wheels and 38" Bias SX tires, too. Who knows. End result is a LM7 or LQ4 is in its future.

I'm going to pull it all out in the next couple weeks when I have time and sell off the AW4 and whatever else I might be able to like the head to buy some new parts like Novak mounts to get ready for when I find a drivetrain. If anyone needs a part for their 4.0, let me know.

But I also have been feeling like the motor was struggling more than usual after it sat for about 2 years (2 years ago). It had never had problems before, but after the long sitting, it had a hard time passing emissions and sounded like it was working harder than it used to if that makes any sense. I wasn't planning on storing it for that long, it just worked out that way, so I didn't do any prep to it. I wonder if it was something building up on me and I put the nail in its coffin with the last trip to Carnage? It could have also been my ridiculously heavy H1 wheels and 38" Bias SX tires, too. Who knows. End result is a LM7 or LQ4 is in its future.

I'm going to pull it all out in the next couple weeks when I have time and sell off the AW4 and whatever else I might be able to like the head to buy some new parts like Novak mounts to get ready for when I find a drivetrain. If anyone needs a part for their 4.0, let me know.
Thanks for the follow-up! I was beginning to think we need to spin off a "bench racing" thread. :)

My rig has Sat for a year on a trailer..last start up was maybe May 2015 before the rear was stretched ...now after the boat sides I hooked up my in cab junction box and while the yellow top easily tand quickly took juice from my ram jumping it seems something has been fudged during the work the only things that work are fro t turn signals no head lights or park lamps got dash lights no gauge sweep or read and wipers ...so before I move on to the cool parts I got to install on the 60 I got to get it running...

One thing I did b4 starting (attempt) the jeep was dump the old Two year oil it had one trip to carnage on it trail miles only but was Two years old so dumped in some Mobil 1 a d filter ...lol...and in all my years if changing oil this was the first oil change checking to make sure the old gasket came with the old filter paid off as it did not...also remembered to not get the ph16 and get a top of the line Mobil .

If my 4 .0 fails I would give serious thought to selling the 5.0 atlas and getting a 4spd to bolt up to a bowtie ...lol...but in the interest of time money and actually wheeling and not an eternal build I would probably end up with a 4.0...lol...my shyyyt don't even start now .

Last edited:
Back