• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

37's on D44 or D60

sintax said:
I'm over it princess...

just gets old seeing people spew something that their friend told them, that they read on pirate one day. There is more to the world then 35spline D60s...

Yeah, I don't actually wheel much at all, I just gather facts on the Net.
& I've only run a rear 44 with 30 spline alloys, then an HP9 with 31 spline alloys, & now an HP9 with 35 spline alloys, so I should probably just stick to what I know.
:rattle:

paul

sintax said:
I'm over it princess...

just gets old seeing people spew something that their friend told them, that they read on pirate one day. There is more to the world then 35spline D60s...

You're right, what do I know, hundreds of assembled axles and thousands of hours of trail time are really not a good indicator of experience.

CRASH

P.S. Go 40 spline or go home.

Ramsey said:
you cant run 37s successfully while being very cheap. wasnt farmer matt tearing up his 44 w/37s pretty steadily at jv

Niether one of my 44's gave me any troubles with 37's, front or rear. With that being said, a rear full float 60 is getting swapped in. The front will just have to live for right now, but I would imagine, I haven't weighed it yet, that I'm much lighter than the average bear. The only front 44 I've broken was with 35's, but that was in reverse & stabbing the gas with a stroker...

Matt

FarmerMatt said:
I'm much lighter than the average bear.

Matt

Let's be a little more specific. Your RIG may be lighter, but the driver may be another story, and I'd like to weigh the bear to confirm.

CRASH said:
You're right, what do I know, hundreds of assembled axles and thousands of hours of trail time are really not a good indicator of experience.

CRASH

P.S. Go 40 spline or go home.

neither your abilities nor your skill set are in question here. Your comment was just dripping with undertones of asshat-ness

sintax said:

So when will we see you out on the trail ? I would like to see this eaton in action. Has Vintagespeed finished your rig build up for you yet ?

Isnt Led running superiors in the front of his 30 with 37 MTR's? Try and PM him and see what he says. Did he have any problems blowing them up on the last BOTW trip?

FarmerMatt said:
Niether one of my 44's gave me any troubles with 37's, front or rear. With that being said, a rear full float 60 is getting swapped in. The front will just have to live for right now, but I would imagine, I haven't weighed it yet, that I'm much lighter than the average bear. The only front 44 I've broken was with 35's, but that was in reverse & stabbing the gas with a stroker...

Matt
i stand corrected then, thought you had some major troubles though

XJHOX said:
Isnt Led running superiors in the front of his 30 with 37 MTR's? Try and PM him and see what he says. Did he have any problems blowing them up on the last BOTW trip?

If I remember right he didn't have any problems with his 30 at BOTW. But what do I know I run 37" MTR's, and a dana 30 with stock TJ shafts with a lock right

I've had a 44 in my Chero for about two years with 37 and 38's.When I first put it in I was breaking shafts every time out,they where junkyard shafts.I then put alloy shafts in and I havent broke anything since.The 44 is now getting transplanted in my MJ buggy.Where it will live again,hopefully with no problems.I like the 44's lighter weight than a 60.If you keep your hotrod kinda lite and dont use a heavy tire-wheel combo you're fine with the 44.

David Taylor said:
So when will we see you out on the trail ? I would like to see this eaton in action. Has Vintagespeed finished your rig build up for you yet ?

Hopefully soon, I'd like to have everything wrapped up by the end of July, but we'll have to see how it goes.

Also thanks for that added dig about Jim building my front suspension. I'm cool with it, i have NO problems admiting he's doing the work. I'm at a point in my life where I have more money then time, i've been at the other end of the equation as well so like I said, no worries. Hes doing an excellent job on everything though and hopefully we'll see a finished product sometime soon.

sintax said:
undertones of asshat-ness

It's times like these that I really wish the rep system was still around. I'm glad mental giants are around to pick up on these "undertones".

:arrowr: :arrowr:
CRASH said:
It's the difference between always worrying about your junk breaking or planting your foot firmly into the throttle and pointing the hood skyward.
CRASH

Wow, someone who actually gets it.... :laugh3:

WayneXJ said:
I'm running 37/12.50/16 Maxxis Creepy Crawlers on a D44/D60 with stock shafts and 760 joints. I havn't had any problems with it yet, but I do carry spare shafts and joints for the 44.

newhell1.jpg

http://www.thor4x4.com/video/whiteknuckle.mpg

Last edited:
sintax said:
Hopefully soon, I'd like to have everything wrapped up by the end of July, but we'll have to see how it goes.

Also thanks for that added dig about Jim building my front suspension. I'm cool with it, i have NO problems admiting he's doing the work. I'm at a point in my life where I have more money then time, i've been at the other end of the equation as well so like I said, no worries. Hes doing an excellent job on everything though and hopefully we'll see a finished product sometime soon.

It's cool. with a coment like this "just gets old seeing people spew something that their friend told them, that they read on pirate one day. There is more to the world then 35spline D60s...". I thought you would have been a built it myself not bought it type of guy. :dunno:

sintax said:
there is more to an axles strenth then spline count, I call BS on the 35 spline requirement. I'll do just fine with 37's and my 17 spline shafts thank you.

BTW old wise one. Will you please check the diameter of those shafts at the root of the splines.

There is another reason that most confuse more splines with stronger. The major diameter at the splines being equal, the less splines there are the deeper cut is required. Cutting deeper lowers the minor diameter causing it to be weaker. Then take into account the steel used and if the shaft was hardened before or after the splines are cut and you can end up with a much weaker shaft.

Take into account that most OEM's use 1040 alloy on a good day and any aftermarket semifloat is 1541 (roughly 20% stronger) doesn't help either.

I really don't know jack about this shit though but my guess is your running about the same strength as a stock 60 with 30 spline full float shafts. On the plus side you added a few hundred pounds in weight, got a much larger ring gear, and took away a decent amount of ground clearance. Hard to say though since the only Eatons I've been around got sold for scrap a long time ago.

Those measurments would be appreciated though.

Thanks,
Lincoln

Back