• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

350 conversion help

I did mine with a 5.3L, the whole thing was difficult. If it wasn't everyone would have one. The hp/torque feels absolutely perfect in the XJ. The first ride around the block you will be wondering what took you so long to do it.

4061800280_8cd0229334_m.jpg

4061056837_a4748e4ec9_m.jpg

4061058771_21e3dde480_m.jpg
Nice swap!

I agree!!

I installed a Chev. 350 in my '89 MJ. It's great! It is easy is reliable, has tons of power, and gets better mileage than the 4.0. I used Novak's bolt-in aluminum radiator with two 4.0 electric fans. Running 35" tires, it has never gone above 210 degrees.

Radiator - $560
Bolt-in motor mounts (Novak) - $200
Coated headers - $385
Adapter from 700R4 to t-case - $500
Engine - $250
Rebuilt 700R4 - $1000
Fans - $20
Tach converter (Dakota Digital) - $80
Lokar shifter in factory MJ console - $300
Total = $3300 (and this wasn't really cutting any corners)

If installing a 5.3 the only cost difference in the parts is the motor, and that can go either way. The Gen. III engines requires more wiring, but can still use factory gauges, etc.

There were no mods needed to the firewall, grill, hood, and I used all the factory gauges. It came together really nice and is now far more reliable than it was before.

My understanding is you can use the AW4. To control it, you simply need to retain the TCU under the dash.

thanks guys all of are helping out a little bit.

im not ready to put the motor in right now because i just got axles for it, but im getting ready to pull the 4.0, tranny, and trans some time next week.

and im not going with a tranny with an overdrive because i wont need it....its a trailer queen and wont be driven on the road.

thanks for all the advice though, anything helps!!

-cody

I did mine with a 5.3L, the whole thing was difficult. If it wasn't everyone would have one. The hp/torque feels absolutely perfect in the XJ. The first ride around the block you will be wondering what took you so long to do it.

Do you have any better pics of the 5.3 install? I've been working on one in my MJ forever and I'm just curious on the details of yours. I started with a '03 5.3, swapped to Corvette front accessories (which it kind of looks like you did as well?) an LS1 intake manifold and stamped steel Corvette exhaust manifolds. I kept the truck injectors, fuel rails, and crossover tube. I don't have the intake/air filter figured out yet nor do I have the radiator and electric fans figured out yet. Jeff

Do you have any better pics of the 5.3 install? I've been working on one in my MJ forever and I'm just curious on the details of yours. I started with a '03 5.3, swapped to Corvette front accessories (which it kind of looks like you did as well?) an LS1 intake manifold and stamped steel Corvette exhaust manifolds. I kept the truck injectors, fuel rails, and crossover tube. I don't have the intake/air filter figured out yet nor do I have the radiator and electric fans figured out yet. Jeff

I actually only changed to an LS1 H2O pump (and swapped the truck pulley back onto it) because of the outlet. I used the LS1 intake with LS1 injectors and fuel rail and put the FBW throttle body on it. And then I used LS1 block hugger headers. I built my own alternator/idler pulley bracket then used parts from http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT to make my air tubing and a K&N RD-6000. In the end it would have been easier and cheaper to go with an S&P, but I was having trouble clearing the accessory belt. I kept the stock radiator and I used a single SHO Taurus fan. I did turn it 90 degrees so it hangs below the radiator, but it was easliy covered by building a shroud.

Here's a few of the pics...

DSCN1650.jpg

EngineMount1.jpg

MotorIn3-1.jpg

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0057.jpg

DSCF0066.jpg

I don't know what else you are looking for. here's some more
http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/ae89/john_darling/Engine Swap/

If you have any specific questions, I would be glad to try to answer them.

John

I guess I don't have any specific questions at this point. I just know that I started mine a long time ago and still have a lot to do. I'm doing quite a bit more at the same time though...and I'm SLOW. I also take a LOT of pictures. :) http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=945920 I'm surprised you were able to fit a set of block hugger headers. I tried a set of Speedway Motors units but couldn't fit them without hitting the frame. I then hit on the stamped steel Vette units that really hugged the block (and then modified them to hug a touch tighter yet.) I am running the drivers side exhaust down and under the oil pan (which was swapped for a CTS-V unit which is shallower than the truck unit) and combining it with the passengers side exhaust manifold on the passengers side. What tranny are you using? I'm using a 4L60E. If using one of these, what are you doing for a shifter? I am looking into modifying a stock '93 XJ floor shifter to catch the positions of the 4L60E. Thanks for the inf and it looks like you have a real nice install! Jeff

I guess I don't have any specific questions at this point. I just know that I started mine a long time ago and still have a lot to do. I'm doing quite a bit more at the same time though...and I'm SLOW. I also take a LOT of pictures. :) http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=945920 I'm surprised you were able to fit a set of block hugger headers. I tried a set of Speedway Motors units but couldn't fit them without hitting the frame. I then hit on the stamped steel Vette units that really hugged the block (and then modified them to hug a touch tighter yet.) I am running the drivers side exhaust down and under the oil pan (which was swapped for a CTS-V unit which is shallower than the truck unit) and combining it with the passengers side exhaust manifold on the passengers side. What tranny are you using? I'm using a 4L60E. If using one of these, what are you doing for a shifter? I am looking into modifying a stock '93 XJ floor shifter to catch the positions of the 4L60E. Thanks for the inf and it looks like you have a real nice install! Jeff

Well as far as the header clearance goes... its just sheet metal (unibody) and it is easily "massages" to make the 1/4" needed ;) I actually placed the engine about 1" to the passesnger side because of my steering.
DSCN1923.jpg

DSCN1922.jpg

On the exhaust I did this

DSCN1926.jpg

And
DSCN1927.jpg

I also mounted as high as possible; I have 1/4" of clearance from the TB to the hood. That of course could be modified to raise it even higher, I was happy with where it was though.

I am using the 4L60E also. I thought for a long time about what I was going to do with the shifter. I really wanted it to look like an XJ while you were sitting inside. I gave up trying to work with the Jeep shifter then, then moved on to modifying a LS1 Camaro shifter. I gave up on that also and finally borrowed a shifter from an ’05-’06 Envoy. It looks cool with the chrome and brushed nickel and I plan to use the built in Trac Control button to switch my lights. Even though it’s not the highest priority on my list I started to work on my console. Eventually it will look very similar to what was in there (just metal instead of plastic).

Posted a few more here... http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/ae89/john_darling/Engine Swap/

Thanks again for more pictures and inf. I eat this stuff up. If you looked through my build thread you saw that I plated the frame rails with 10 gauge steel on the sides and 3/16 on the bottom. THEN I put the engine in and tried to fit some exhaust manifolds. I did NOT want to modify the frame any more than I had already to plate it so I didn't want to try to make room for the Speedway headers. The Vette units were CHEAP and I thought they would work, so that's the route I took. I may end up looking into that Envoy shifter as yours looks pretty good. Jeff

Makes me really want a v-8 reading this thread lol.................dang you guys. Got my gears running and my pocket book scared out of its mind lol

Makes me really want a v-8 reading this thread lol.................dang you guys. Got my gears running and my pocket book scared out of its mind lol

It was a lot of dough, but if you consider the cost of a well done 4.6L or 4.7L stroker it wasn't that bad. Plus this will smoke the stroker, especially at the upper end. It was the time and effort that was much higher. I would guess over the next two years this will become a popular swap and the aftermarket will begin to support it. For now you are pretty much on your own and the challenges are plentiful. But like anything else, if you want it bad enough you'll work through it.

John

Yea me too! I need to find the Ford 5.0 hot rod book I bought a few years ago. Of course money is low so All I can do is read and dream! :doh:

Yea me too! I need to find the Ford 5.0 hot rod book I bought a few years ago. Of course money is low so All I can do is read and dream! :doh:

Tell me about it.............dreaming, dreaming dreaming lol

Back