• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33s w/ chains?

I believe that 33's are fine. they clear fine with a 5" lift.

the 12.50's DON'T clear the wheel wells and turning radius of a cherokee UNLESS you do a bit of fender trimming, jack it up higher (you DON'T want a high center of gravity in your driving conditions so that one is out), or you have done research and found properly backspaced rims.

I'm running 33x12.50's on my 89 comanche. they ARE identical on the front, and I will tell you that with my 6.5" of lift, I cannot articulate while driving and turning simultaneously...it rubs the fender wells bad. my 33's are on 7" wide rims with 4.5" of backspacing and at no flex are great. and yes, the reason they are on so narrow of rims is that I can air down and not lose my bead.

I would advise no wider than 11.50s on your rig as they should be able to clear your fenders at full turn with a 5" lift, and should clear the top of the fenders at articulation.

now you get into a question of backspacing as well.

I use V-Bar chains on my 33's (12.5w on 4.5" lift and trimmed) and I'm locked in the rear and they are incredible in the winter.

I really like having the rear locked with chains too... when the snow is too deep the locked rear with chains just digs down till it hits dirt and then you simply plow right through anything. If your'e open in the rear you won't dig down to traction as easily. Just my experience though...

jeepcomj said:
I would advise no wider than 11.50s on your rig as they should be able to clear your fenders at full turn with a 5" lift, and should clear the top of the fenders at articulation.

now you get into a question of backspacing as well.

They're trimmed up a couple of inches in the front and the rears were trimmed w/relief cuts and pounded over. I've got lots of space (could probably stuff 33s on the lift I have now).

Thanks for the replies everybody, my main concern was with having 33s and chains on and getting buried in dense snow and the effect that might have on my axle/drivetrain.

When I said "other mods" that are good for snow, I wasn't really asking for tips on how to set my lift up, more asking about things like OBA or front skids that other people who drive in conditions extreme enough to warrant chains had found useful.

As for pinned/studded tires, they will slide on steep ice (Not speculation).

ert01 said:
I really like having the rear locked with chains too... when the snow is too deep the locked rear with chains just digs down till it hits dirt and then you simply plow right through anything. If your'e open in the rear you won't dig down to traction as easily. Just my experience though...

Wow, that's really cool to know. I've experienced the same thing on our backhoe but not on a vehicle that's nearly as light as an XJ. I was really set on keeping everything open because I spend so much time on snow and ice and didn't think that locking it up was a good idea.

sounds like you need limited slip then

Back