• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

32" tires, new gears?

The carrier break is 3.73 on a D30. The 8.25 doesn't need a new carrier unless you just want to replace it due to age (i.e. it's cracked or has something wrong with it). In other words, you need a new carrier for the D30. I got mine from Precision Gear. Yeah, the 8.25 carrier is a bitch unless you have small hands. Get your girlfriend or wife out and put her to work. Depends on how much you paid for her. I recommend the Yukon or Precision Gear brands. I have never even had to touch them. Just bolt-on and go. The patterns are always flawless from my experience. Don't let any "experts" tell you it's hard work either. These are same people who think welding is hard. And last but not least: You get what you pay for (in women and in gears). ;)

C85D4x4 said:
Superior gear is fine..................

DO NOT TRY TO DO THIS YOUR SELF!!!!

Trust me................if you dont know what you are doing................your going to be putting more money into it in the long run..............

If you cant follow along with reading this http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-ARB/articles/14b_Gear_Setup/

have someone else do it for you

I completely disagree...If you are familar with some basic tools and understand how a differential works, then you can do it. The trick is to verify everything, double check your tolerances and check them again. I still remember being scared when i did my first gear swap in my 72' nova, however I took my time and when it was done. I was like "Thats it?". It's people who constantly scream, DON'T TRY IT YOURSELF who scare younger guys away from the hobby and/or turn them into checkbook racers/builders. Aside from maybe paint and some metal work, there isn't much most guys on this site couldn't do, as long as they have someone helping them and instructing them. Not telling them they can't do it and pay someone. :nono:

What is the easiest way to tell what gears I have?
Opening the diff and counting teeth?

TunaSoda said:

Should be on a tag held on by one of the diff cover bolts. Otherwise the easiest is to mark the driveshaft and the bottom of the tyre. Then roll the Jeep one complete tyre rotation while counting how many times the driveshaft turns while doing so. 3 turns = 3.08, 3.5 turns = 3.55, 4 turns = 4.11 etc.

Nuthinfancy said:
What is a carrier exactly? Someone said I will have to buy a carrier for my front D30? Is that true? Whats the purpose? It doesnt have on already or what? I dont need one for the C8.25 do I?

A carrier is what the ring gear bolts too. On the Dana 30 it can only hold up to 3.73 ratio before a different carrier is needed that has a different flange for the larger ring gears to bolt to. Inside the carrier also sits the side gears on a open diff. You are better off going to a Detriot Tru-Trac ( not a lunch box type locker ) that replaces the whole carrier and gives you the best LSD as well.

Gojeep said:
A carrier is what the ring gear bolts too. On the Dana 30 it can only hold up to 3.73 ratio before a different carrier is needed that has a different flange for the larger ring gears to bolt to. Inside the carrier also sits the side gears on a open diff. You are better off going to a Detriot Tru-Trac ( not a lunch box type locker ) that replaces the whole carrier and gives you the best LSD as well.

Well I know I cant afford the Detroit Tru Trac. Or any locker for that matter. Maybe in a couple years but this website http://www.rocky-road.com/xjdrive.html

offers a carrier for the D30 for an extra $49. Thats what I want right?

hmmm I think I went go with the general public on this one. I dont feel like waiting 25 years to get my gears. Although they have an attractive price.

What are some good websites that sell gears for a fair price?

selarep said:
STAY AWAY FROM ROCKY ROAD.

selarep said:
Do a search.

Ok I searched and found no horror stories. But hey I guess we should all steer away from Rocky road stuff because you think so plus you used all caps!!!!!. :worship: Thanks for sharing your vast wisdom with us.

Yep, do yourself a favor and listen to selarep - Rocky Road is horrible.

TunaSoda said:

All gear sets have a stamp on them from the manufacturer. looks something like this:

39 / 11=3.54
47 / 11=3.73

Back