• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 link w/ a Johny

Kittrell

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Alright, heres the deal. I am looking to run a 3 link LA setup. I don't want this to turn into a big arguement about 3 link vs. 4 link, or leafs vs. coils. So stick to the question. Will be running either Clayton, CRSU, or TnT (haven't decided yet). But Currie makes a a UCA Mount with a Johny Joint in it, so I was thinkin' about throwing this on the 44. Can anyone think of any ill affects this would have????

im running heims on mine, why not use those. cheap and easy to replace.
Img0C09.jpg

Img061A.jpg

paul_xj04 said:
im running heims on mine, why not use those. cheap and easy to replace.

Img061A.jpg
what is your t-case / tranny sitting on? i dont see it supported at all...

interesitng idea on the arms however...

if you only run one radius arm (one arm with the upper, other one lower only) I would definitely go with the Johhny Joint for the upper. I would also use the upper arm on the driver;s side, you will get crazy pinion angle change with flex if you run the passenger side arm as the radius arm; you will probably break u-joints and/or yokes.

BrettM said:
if you only run one radius arm (one arm with the upper, other one lower only) I would definitely go with the Johhny Joint for the upper. I would also use the upper arm on the driver;s side, you will get crazy pinion angle change with flex if you run the passenger side arm as the radius arm; you will probably break u-joints and/or yokes.

Thats what I run and nothing has broken. I run a Johhny Joint at the rame end and heims at the axle end.

I am well aware of what side the diff is thank you. Am I just supposed to know what side to run the UCA on for a 3 link. These are things you need to learn before doing it, which is exactly why this thread is here. Don't be a dick......... :gag:

This TJ has a passenger side 3-link...........:lecture:

1100905233_trackbar06.jpg

Last edited:
most folks put the third link on the passenger side because there is a whole lot more room to run it there (read clearance) than on the drivers side. I made my three link following (kinda) a design that Goatman has run very successfully. My arm is heim at the axle and JJ on the "frame rail" side. JJ on both ends would work well also. The nice thing about the JJ (certain brands of them) is that it can be tightened up when the race wears a bit. A heim you have to throw away. Both work okay however. I believe the Rubicon Superflex (both my daughters are running them) have a JJ on the frame rail and a rubber bushing on the axle end. I have way too much flex in mine for the RB, hence the heim.

If you are running a 3-link with the uca going to the frame and not to the lca, then the Currie mount would work well. When the design is right, there isn't a lot of caster change. If you are going to run the uca to lca (radius arm style) you would be best off with the mount on the drivers side. This would keep the pinion more in line with the drive shaft as the axle rotated with droop or compression as it does with radius style arms. Much easier on the driveshaft u joints and pinion. I think this is what BrettM was talking about.

Okay, so it sounds like the best thing to do is run the 3 link on the driver's side since I will be running a radius style LA and this is also my DD. So I will just order the bridge and a superflex from R.E. Now do I want the small or large joint????

Back