• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 inches of Lift with Stock LCA's

XplodJeepster

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching, and I've gotten my calculator out, and I am ready to buy a Lift Kit

~3 inches of lift for my 95 Cherokee XJ 4.0ho 5spd - STOCKER

I'm not asking suggestions on which lift I should buy (believe me - I've done 3 months of research to come to my conclustion)

In my searches on NAXJA however - I could never find the answer to LCA legth tolerances in regards to the infamous DW

with the formula square root of 248+9= suggested LCA length I come up a quarter inch too short with the Stock LCA's. DOES THAT MATTER AT ALL?

Some kits come with LCA's some don't - is this why?
should I just look into track bar in this case? i've heard of drilling a hole to recenter the axle? would they do that at an alignment shop? would they try to sell you something?

any considerations hereto are appreciated - suggestions - concurrences?

help.

Thanks

XplodJeepster said:
I could never find the answer to LCA legth tolerances in regards to the infamous DW

WTF does LCA lengths have to do with DW? There are half a million reasons for DW and I can assure you that if your LCA bushings are good and the LCA is not bent (in NEW condition), your LCA are not causing DW. You know there is an adjustment on the unibody for the LCA that has about 3/8" of adjustment fore and aft?

I think you are doing too much research (if that could be possible).

Last edited:
Actually, it's a good question ....

Raising your Jeep will affect Caster, the whole reason why there are longer and adjustable LCAs.

However, I have a 3.5" RE lift with my 00 Cherokee and the LCAs are still fine. When I got it aligned the mechanic commented how "in spec" it was. With the lift the Jeep rides great, tracks straight and the tires wear evenly.

You should be fine. If you went higher, say 5 or 6 inches, then you're talking longer/adjustable LCAs.

good. having a 3 inch lift will actually set the caster to a more appropriate angle (if i understand it correctly)

and will alignment shops drill holes for the track bar? or will I have to do that? and if I do
How far away from the original hole will I have to punch the new one in?

XplodJeepster said:
good. having a 3 inch lift will actually set the caster to a more appropriate angle (if i understand it correctly)

and will alignment shops drill holes for the track bar? or will I have to do that? and if I do
How far away from the original hole will I have to punch the new one in?

Actually that is BAD. You want castor to be about 5 degrees (which is almost impossible with when lifting on stock axles). When your pinion angle (which is good to prevent binding and vibes) goes up you loose caster. A way to save castor might be to look into offset balljoints (I think they give 2-3 degrees of castor back).

Alignment shop probably won't drill and re-locate your trackbar. Who ever lifts your rig will have to relocate the track bar. You can do it yourself pretty easily. An exact measurment will probably be with the instructions for the lift kit. If you don't feel comfortable re-driling the bracket, you can always get an adjustable track bar.

Good luck.

I installed my 3" Rusty's Full Spring Pack lift and then made and added 1/4" (Your calculations are correct) spacers in the LCA body mounting brackets and I have no wobble, no vibration, no nothing. Not even a ripple in my cup of coffee! Check out Go Jeep for the measurements for the spacers. They say 1/8 inch, but 1/4 inch is closer to correct.

I am at 4.5" of lift with the stock LCA and UCA. Castor is still reasonable with the adjuster packed with shims both sides.

I would go with a new TB. If you drill out the old mount then you should weld up the old hole. At 3" I would probably just live with it for a while before I decided to adjust it or buy a new one. Just a thought.

Michael

2xtreme said:
If you drill out the old mount then you should weld up the old hole.

Why?

cracker said:

So that the trackbar does not find its way into the old hole.

At 3" of lift the holes need to be VERY close to each other.

Why not?

Michael

I would worry about pinion angle more than caster.

okay I talked with schwabs and they don't do the drilling (wasn't too disappointed)

and I don't have a problem doing a fill weld into the old hole - although I wouldn't mind getting an adjustable track bar, just to eliminate that step when I go bigger

and shims? in the LCA mounts? - would that be something the alignment shop (aka schwabies) would do as well (I forgot to ask)

Back