• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" and 33's?

^^^^ DUDE sick custom tags!

everyone who says 33's suck with stock gearing more than likely has a pre96 xj so their hp/torque numbers will be lower than ours and expierence will be different with big tires.

pretty sure the 4.0 is essentially the same from 91-99. even on the 00-01 models with the coil rail, power increase was minimal. (Oh think they did something in 96 to make it run smoother)

Last edited:
ok this is 4" inches but heres 33x10.50's on stock wheels and trimmed fenders... i just adjusted my steering bump stops a little and fixed my problem
IMG_0082.jpg

dont really need flares with stock wheels and 10.50's

and for those people who say 33's suck with stock 3.55 gearing dont own the HO 4.0 like we have ;) my jeep still has balls to get up and do what i want it to do. mine still faster than my buddies MJ on 35's and 4.56's. i will say dont expect to drive in OD(unless over 65mph) mine cruises around at 55mph at about 2200 rpm in drive but driving in just drive and a easy on the skinny pedal will still net you decent mpg.

everyone who says 33's suck with stock gearing more than likely has a pre96 xj so their hp/torque numbers will be lower than ours and expierence will be different with big tires.

So much fail in this post! Dude, I have 31's on stock gears and you can tell its a little sluggish. Also, spend 5 minutes and trim the bumper caps.

ok this is 4" inches but heres 33x10.50's on stock wheels and trimmed fenders... i just adjusted my steering bump stops a little and fixed my problem
IMG_0082.jpg

and for those people who say 33's suck with stock 3.55 gearing dont own the HO 4.0 like we have ;) my jeep still has balls to get up and do what i want it to do. mine still faster than my buddies MJ on 35's and 4.56's. i will say dont expect to drive in OD(unless over 65mph) mine cruises around at 55mph at about 2200 rpm in drive but driving in just drive and a easy on the skinny pedal will still net you decent mpg.

Dang that's a pretty rig.
We will have to agree to disagree with regard to stock gearing on 33's :)

^ that rig would look soooo good on a set of ravines or moabs

SPOBI... HO was 91-01 with minor changes at some points, absolutely nothing to do with the body style changeover. My 96 XJ on 33s and 3.55s with an auto can't get out of its own way, my 91 (HO) MJ on 225s with 1500lbs of stuff in the back out-accelerates it. You don't notice because you've been driving it for so long - it takes me quite a while to accelerate from 55 to 65 uphill in the XJ, in the MJ I can hit 90 with the full load far before my XJ unloaded will hit 65.

Of course, I'll probably run out of gas right around the corner in the MJ, just as everyone else catches up to me... :eye::roflmao: that was some bad luck.

FAIL.

Try driving a jeep with 4.56's or above. My rig, 31's and 3.55's was the SUCK.

It doesn't matter which version of motor you have. Im willing to bet the 2000-01 motor makes less power because of the 3 cat's too.

FAIL.

It doesn't matter which version of motor you have. Im willing to bet the 2000-01 motor makes less power because of the 3 cat's too.

I agree, I have a 5speed and swapped stock axles back in the day, so I had 3.55's on 31's and that sucked on the highway, or anywhere with hills.

FAIL.

my xj only came with 1 cat. and i dont remember who posted it but their prolly right, i've driven my jeep with 33's on stock gearing for about a year now. i forgot what it was like on stock stuff... i remember it holding its own when this 3000gt wanted to race me, but lets just say i think it still has balls cuz it will still outrun my 05 civic lx with an automatic. now then, going up a 7% grade by itself or even pulling a trailer its a complete DOG... but around town as a daily driver where everything is pretty much 100% flat. i dont have a problem with gearing. when i wheel i just throw it in 4 low and call it good.

Back