• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.07 to 4.56

MisterFubar said:
I didn't see anyone else giving him any input.

So better to provide mis-aligned advise than none at all? :gee:

Please share your engine, tranny, T-case combo to gauge relevence.

I've run 4:56 gear with 32's and a 5 speed in my 89, were OK but I could have used more power. (I live at 4400 ft elevation)
Last month I installed 4:88's in my 2000 with an AW4/231 and they are perfect. Feels like it did stock with great low end power, I can pull hills without the tranny kicking out of OD all the time and at 75mph, I'm turning 2800 rpms. My last tank of gas netted 19mpg, mostly freeway miles. My engine has 103K miles on it, fwiw.

4.0 AW4 8.8 rear 30 front

I run 4.56 gears with 31" tires. Drives down the road and freeway no problem and no extremely high RPM. I noticed some vibes in the front DS because if the higher RPM's but I jut replaced it and it is good now. On the trails the crawl is great. 16MPG on freeway and 14MPG in the city.

They way people talked I thought it would be throttle smoke and chaos when I even thought about the skinny pedal. In all honesty there is no big difference. The tires don't burn of the rims and my MPG doesnt suck either. I have gained pulling power though. I pull the trailer in my signature now allot better.

outlander said:
good luck finding the 4.11's......:scared:

seriously though....you have to have the same ratio's front and rear.

It's the general consensus that it is okay to run 4.10 and 4.11 gears together. 1/100th of a driveshaft revolution isn't going to make a very big difference.

But yes, go with the 4.56 gears.

Pat said:
BTW, i don't have any experience with the d35, but it is generally looked down upon and not many people put money into it. might be worth considering a 29 spline 8.25 or a 44?

Pat
Yea I know, but im getting a smoking deal and its not going to cost much...Its D35 trutrack locker with chromoly yukon shafts for 150. i just figured I'll swapp out my 3.07 open and and invest in gears...not a bad deal, but yur right, its not the best thing

Sounds good, thanks guys.....I will just hit the junk yards and snatch the carriers and heck even the 4.10's and have for spares...

So what Im getting is that everybody who has upgraded to 4.56 and has kep tires at a max of 32-33 has no problem.

Thanks

x*BIGASSALEX*j said:
Sounds good, thanks guys.....I will just hit the junk yards and snatch the carriers and heck even the 4.10's and have for spares...

So what Im getting is that everybody who has upgraded to 4.56 and has kep tires at a max of 32-33 has no problem.

Thanks

I have 4.56's with 33' now.

I had 31's with the same gears and I liked it better for pavement pounding and wheelin.

I wouldn't hesitate to run 4.88's with 33's and a stick, even for street use.

CanMan said:
I have 4.56's with 33' now.

I had 31's with the same gears and I liked it better for pavement pounding and wheelin.

I wouldn't hesitate to run 4.88's with 33's and a stick, even for street use.

Dam for real......!!!!!......!!!!

that good huh.

So now the question is, with what ring and pinion did everybody go with, price? and overall and recomandation and not to buys???

xjohnnyc said:
It's the general consensus that it is okay to run 4.10 and 4.11 gears together. 1/100th of a driveshaft revolution isn't going to make a very big difference.

But yes, go with the 4.56 gears.

yea I know that gearing with that small of a difference will slide but there is a point that you have to draw the line...dont want him thinking that he can put 4.56's in the front for pulling power on the trail and 3.73's in the back for fuel economy on the street...

besides its a moot point because 4.11's aren't available..and for good reason.

Avoid Genu-whine Gears at all costs........go with Spicer, Yukon, Sierra, Superior brands.

I had Desert Fab put in some 4:56 for me last winter and they are great. My opinion is they are perfect for 33's. At 65 mph the engine runs at 2500 RPM. I would PM AZXJ for a price, or search the web as well.

Wounded XJ said:
I had Desert Fab put in some 4:56 for me last winter and they are great. My opinion is they are perfect for 33's. At 65 mph the engine runs at 2500 RPM. I would PM AZXJ for a price, or search the web as well.

I did that last night, thanks man...and if I get them on you will see me on the trail with 4.56 locked....wooohhoo that sounds awesome!party1:

BlackJax said:
Get Precision Gear's stuff, I've never had one come back and never had a bad gearset in 8 years. It's made in the USA stuff.

Same experience here...btw the carrier break for a d-30 is 3.73....you will need a new carrier. The carrier break for a d-35 is 3.55....you will need a new carrier of the rear also.

With 4.56, you are going to think you have a new bigger motor compared to the 3.07's....who was the rocket scientist that thought 3.07's were a good gear for a Xj? the motor dont make enough torque for gears like that...

Last edited:
I just had my gears redone in my 98 with a 5 speed so I have some valuable input. The jeep came with 3.07s and when I first threw the 32's on it I swapped some 3.55 axles in. It was numerically lower than stock even with the bigger tires, but it still kinda sucked for power. Just had 4.56's installed a couple weeks ago, and mind you, I was never planning on going this low, I liked the longish gears with the 3.55s to an extent, and do a lot of highway driving. I finally bit the bullet an got the 4.56s with my 32" ATs and I love it! The only thing I dont like is how fast I need to shift out of first. I can start in second gear most the time though without hardly using the clutch at all. In low range the torque is amazing. I have a pretty steep driveway and in low and in first gear, I can roll bachwards down the driveway and dump the clutch and it will pull right back up without even hesitating. While 4-wheelin I can let the motor do the work when going over big rocks, hardly ever needing to use the clutch. My rig has heavy bumpers, spare tire, rockers, frame rails, etc and the only engine mod is a homeade cone filter intake and last week took a new Jetta and a newish integra. Its nice to get that street power back ;-)

BTW My freeway RPM at 70 is 2800. And sofar my gas mileage is the same as before. 15.5/ 20.

Long story short: GET THE 4.56's!

Here is a pic of my jeep for referance

http://picasaweb.google.com/Jeppler3/PresedentsDayWeekend/photo#5034020629839310386

-Jerry

Back