• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2x4 or 2x6 rocker rectangle tube???

nmonderewicz

NAXJA Forum User
i am going to be cutting out my rockers and replacing them with steel tubing... i cought something with the floor and the body. contecting them both with angle iron but i dont really know what to go with any suggestions????

2x6 on a slight angle will give you some door protection and still allow water to drain away from the interior instead of pool on it.

I went with 2x6. Offers more protection.
006.jpg

paint1.jpg

Nevermind that I haven't bothered to get my doors and fenders to line up too much.

Another vote for 2x6. If you have no plastic trim on the doors, rockers are barely just past the door itself, so idiots in parting lots open their door into your rocker, not your paintwork.

jeep+cherokee+007.JPG

HEre is one of the best write-ups/ pictorials I've seen. http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showthread.php?105565-Extrem-XJ-Rocker-replacement

I intend on mirroring the linked above route w/an additional step, eventually, I intend on tying the 2x6 into the uni-body via 10/12ga sheet. If I go that route I don't even see the need for the stand offs. I'll probably weld an additional piece of angle to the uni-body to add strength and a fresh/clean surface to weld to.

2x6 on a slight angle will give you some door protection and still allow water to drain away from the interior instead of pool on it.
Exactly what I did. Tipped it out 3 degress and the water runs right off.

Some hopefully helpful pictures:

RockerAngle.jpg

RockerComplete_Front.jpg

RockerComplete_Rear.jpg

RockerTieIn_UnderFloor.jpg

RockerSupports2.jpg

MaskedforBlack3.jpg

CIMG5766.jpg

bill, your rockers make mine look like a hack job, thanks

I haven't tied them in to the uni-body yet but found a real clean looking way to weld the sill to the 2x6 w/out worrying about burning through the stock sheet metal. What we did was just jack the 2x6 in place then had some holes drilled into 1x1/8 flat stock, placed the flat stock at the sill and plug welded the flat stock through the sill and into the tube. This inturn gives a nice clean surface to weld to w/out worry of burning through or whatever. Alright here is a pic...

DSC00313.jpg

That does clean, moreso than mine.

Sent from tapatalk on iJunk

Back