• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd axle strength

codyyy

NAXJA Forum User
How strong is a 2wd axle? I have a 2wd '87 Comanche and want to lift it, however I plan to run the 2wd axle up front for a bit. Are there any parts that I should beware of/upgrade? Thanks.

Unless you go crazy and jump it all kinds, the front beam should be just fine. YOu could truss it if you really want to.

I think gusseting the inner C's is as far as most people go with the 2wd beam.

I seemed to have beat the heck out of it at Ocotillo the other night, however the truck is stock. I don't think anything broke, actually I'm pretty sure nothing broke as far as the axle goes. I just wasn't sure how well the front end holds up, I'd like to just lift it for now instead of converting it to 4x4 first.

My stock 2wd MJ had a bent front beam when I got it, and it had no other signs of wheeling. It's just a piece of tube, no different than an axle tube but longer. I would think that would be even more prone to bending, because it's a longer piece. See if you can dig up the Jeepspeed build thread by Chris Culver, his name on here is Skullver. He built a pretty sick 2wd beam. at the very least I would truss it and gusset the C's, sleeving it and beefing up the control arm mounts wouldn't hurt either.

edit: here http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=903697&highlight=beam

Last edited:
I have built (and bent) a couple of 2wd beams. You'll want to run a piece of tube through the center and weld it on the ends and drill and rosette weld it in the middle.

complete the welds on the UCA brackets (you have two of the flimsy pressed sheetmetal ones on a 2WD beam, I can fold these up on command) and then box them in with 1/8 or 3/16 plate, also fully welded.

Toss a couple gussets on the inner Cs and LCA brackets and call it a day... if you are REALLY gonna hammer on it, truss it all the way across.

how much abuse is a 2wd, non-lifted mj gonna see? just run it. this thread doesnt belong in jeepspeed anyway.

ive seen stock 2wd beams abused on 33's, everything but jumping it and driving it straight into a ledge. unless your stupid and think your andy mcmillin. it'll be fine... a stock jeep cant go fast enough offroad to hurt it, you will be giving yourself whiplash first.

build a replacement axle, but dont touch the beam unless it needs shock mounts or to be pulled for replacement.

people talk shit about the spindle type d30 beam (they come both ways, with a spindle and regular bearings, as well as basically copying the 4wd housing, but with a short dummy shaft where the outter shaft normally goes. these use the conventional unit bearing --which is good if you go offroading with jeepers, they'll have spares for that, but not a 2wd housing!) we've toasted bearings, but thats it.

I've buckled the stock brackets on a d30 in a stock height MJ with stock control arms in 2wd on a potholed dirt road. Just sayin' ;)

was it rusted all to crap?
guess this is like any other offroad part debate, every debate has 2 sides, im not saying DONT replace, or strengthen it, im just sayin it can be made to last, assuming it's in decent condition to begin with, and you dont overtly abuse it. if your planning on a 4wd conversion, just wait to build the 4x4 front axle.

If you are worried then call T&J's in Orange, CA. Pick up one of their kits to reinforce the upper arm mounts. They also have a very simple truss that runs under the tube and ties the LCA's. If you bend it with that truss, then you probably hit hard enough to tweak the chassis.

was it rusted all to crap?
nope, not this one... mild surface rust that came off in 30 seconds with the grinder, still had factory paint in a lot of places. The axle I completely tore the mounts off of was heavily rusted, learned my lesson there.

if your planning on a 4wd conversion, just wait to build the 4x4 front axle.
Totally agreed. Build the front axle while driving on the other one, then swap it in in a few hours and continue with life.

Back