• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2JZGTE swap this summer...

No harness swapping...just the injector plugs. I'll need to either get a factory Toyota injector resistor pack OR just wire in the appropriate size resistors in line with each individual injector.

Worst case scenario I can get it passed in a non-emmissions county...but I am making every effort to make her totally legal so that if I ever sold her, the new owner doesn't have to worry about the legitimacy of the Jeep.

Worst case scenario I can get it passed in a non-emmissions county...but I am making every effort to make her totally legal so that if I ever sold her, the new owner doesn't have to worry about the legitimacy of the Jeep.

Kudos to you! Most do not even think about this. Have a Beer on me!

Government regulations, basically.

96 Jeep, for emissions purposes you must use same year of manufacture or newer for a donor drivetrain and its electronics and emissions equipment. All 96 vehicles in the US were federally mandated to have OBD2, so that's more a side effect of being required to install 96 or later electronics since it's a 96 Jeep than being required to install OBD2 electronics.

^^Quite right. You must use same year or newer donor parts for it to be legit. This has been the case for a very long time. It's all about the Feds and emission controls.

And, it is a generally good idea as the PCMs, etal, from the newer stuff run the engine more efficiently than the older stuff ever did. More efficient equals lower emissions and possibly better mileage.

All of it a good thing.

Plus, have you ever attempted to actually deal with ODBI? What a disaster. Count the little flashes for the CEL events and good luck finding software for your laptop to run so you can monitor what is actually going on in the engine. ODBII provides a ton of information via the port. Seems silly not to take advantage of it.

It's not that it's not a good idea, I think people don't do it because it's challenging in an electrical sort of way. People avoid that stuff like it was the plague or something.

I understand the EPA & local governments having smog regulations, and I'm fully in favor.
I lose the plot when they mandate same-year-or-newer or any other nits they want to pick.
It seems to me that a gas analyzer for the exhaust coupled with an "emissions must not rise above xxx as a result of swap" approach would be simpler.

^+1

That's what I thought I had to do when I started. Turns out it's a little more involved and specific than I initially realized. If I had a 95- I'd be legal now.

SMH

Challenge accepted, government.

I understand the EPA & local governments having smog regulations, and I'm fully in favor.
I lose the plot when they mandate same-year-or-newer or any other nits they want to pick.
It seems to me that a gas analyzer for the exhaust coupled with an "emissions must not rise above xxx as a result of swap" approach would be simpler.

you just proposed a common sense, simple and cheap methodology to dealing with engine swaps.

that is the antithesis to the EPA and emissions laws.

you just proposed a common sense, simple and cheap methodology to dealing with engine swaps.

that is the antithesis to the EPA and emissions laws.

^The truth. I don't have to deal with any of the emissions garbage, but from what I've seen it's senseless. If it passes the sniffer, what's wrong with it?

^+1

That's what I thought I had to do when I started. Turns out it's a little more involved and specific than I initially realized. If I had a 95- I'd be legal now.

SMH

Challenge accepted, government.

crazy laws )))
i finally solved the problem with idle RPM ))))
now it's time for front propeller shaft ...

had to rebuild almost all the wiring, )
couple relays were missing and some wires were connected to the wrong power source.
e.g. ECU power was connected to ACC instead of constant B+ and so on.
so every engine start i had a closed IACV as it was at the moment of engine stop. While it must always be fully open before starting engine, and then, when engine starts, during the firast seconds the IACV takes its place, depending on engine temperature and other factors.. .

Nice! Excellent trouble shooting. I ran in to issues with reverse polarity myself. The Jeep systems tend to be grounded and have control systems like the ECU provide 12v, while the Toyota system wires everything hot and the ECU just connects and disconnects grounds. Mildly irritating.

Odd that you say that - most of what I have seen on jeeps (aside from trans solenoids) is ground switched, or positive switched by a relay that has its coil ground switched by the ecu.

I think I just misspoke about the ecu side of things...but the relays and switches were all backwards.
Also, I'm about ready to start her back up after the OBDII conversion. She has no fire, but I think I removed power in to the ignition coil. Fix it later. Still need to wire in the OBDII port and see what the ecu has codes for! Kinda excited.

Down pipe and exhaust setup is built and complete. OBD2 conversion is complete.

Image09302012120815.jpg

I have one remaining code that a resistor will take care of, I'm expecting an O2 code to show up, and for some reason she won't idle now and is shifting REALLY hard. I'm on Supraforums and going through factory repair manuals (both volumes) for a solution. I've also received my 3 fan setup from Dirtbound. So close to legality and daily drivability now...

Riddle me this:

Is there a difference between connecting the IAC inlet to the valve cover vent port OR connecting it to the turbo inlet post-MAF?

Reason I ask is this...if I plug the IAC port and adjust the TB set screw I can get her to idle. IAC is trying to pull air in...the vac on my finger is pretty stout. A friend thinks that since I went OBD2 the system as a whole is more finicky and that I need to connect the IAC port to the valve cover instead of just using a small crank case vent filter.

I do not think this will work, although I also recognize that a connection to the valve cover is NOT the same as atmosphere.

I hypothesize that more than just converting to OBD2, the issue lies in the fact that in the process I switched from MAP to MAF sensors. MAP could compensate for a "vac leak" through the IAC since the leak would affect MAP and it would be seen and compensated for. Now that the MAF is in front of the turbo inlet, the compy is not seeing the air allowed in through the IAC and thus cannot compensate for it, causing a lean condition and subsequent stall when trying to idle.

This will be sorted out tomorrow, I just thought it would be fun to see us all guess.

Last edited:
I've never seen IACs connected to the valve cover.
I don't work on many 2Jz engines, maybe once or twice a year, but the Volvo turbo engines I see (several daily) have IAC plumbed to regular filtered air inlet. I'd go with that and run a regular PCV setup instead of a filtered vent.

Back