• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2JZGTE swap this summer...

This should be interesting. I'd drop in a late model 8.25 before I'd put anything into a D35. Easy to fine, cheap and bolt in. Hell you could probably find a built one, ie locker, for cheap on here. I watched a D35 spit gear teeth out the diff cover in a drive way with a renix 4.0L. That was some funny stuff. I knew the guys driving style and told him not to go spinning the tires. He caught traction on a patch of grass and BOOM! I fell over laughing. :roll:

What size tires did he have? I need to do something fun to mine right before replacing it... :eyes:

What size tires did he have? I need to do something fun to mine right before replacing it... :eyes:

31's IIRC maybe 32's. It's been a few years.

So the transmission issue is likely going to be a little more in-depth than initially thought, especially since I want to keep the 4-wheel drive. While I may not be able to swap over the internals into the Supra's A304E (not 100% sure yet), I should still be able to merge the harnesses so the Toyota ECU can control the Jeep's AW4 without issue. I am working on this issue now, I'll post again once I have a definite solution.

I need a little help here, please. If anyone can source another 23 spline 30-43le (AW4 '91+ 4WD) output shaft and transfer case adapter, PLEASE let me know. I am having a little difficulty finding these "hard" parts. I am going to try to install the 30-43le (Jeep) output shaft and cone into the 30-40le (Toyo) in an effort to ward off any MILs. The supra tranny also has a couple of bells and whistles that will go great with the "tiptronic" type manual gear selection control that will be put in. I would also like to use it's built in TCU with the supra shift points. Paddle shifters... maybe. Anyway, first things first. I need to bolt an NP231 to the Supra tranny, and I would rather not have to get a whole trans. Thanks for your help!
-Chad

Oh hey, also can any confirm the output shaft diameters in our AW4s? The Supra output shaft has 23 splines with shaft diameter of approx. 27.4 mils between splines and approx 30.4 on splines. As I understand not all AW4 output shafts are the same, depending on how early a year model they are. Again, I think anything '91 and up may fit. Thanks!

If you'd asked me two weeks ago I would have had one on the back porch to measure... live in a basement apartment now :(

I'll add it to the list of things I am trying to remember to do.

I'm asking about the diameter because I came across this post somewhere. Anyone able to validate this?
"
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Just a though about the t-case hook up. The model 30-43le is the newer model [/FONT][FONT=&quot]transmission[/FONT][FONT=&quot] for the HO 4.0. A model 30-40le is for the Non-HO 4.0. The tail shaft on the 30-40le(old model) is smaller in diameter than the newer model transmission. The older t-case will not go with the newer (91 up) transmissions. Because I tried to put a 91 model 30-43le onto my 92 model engine (no problem) and the the 89 model NP231 would not fit onto the tail shaft."[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is it possible the author thinks its smaller when it actually has a different spline count... hmmm...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You see this is the problem with internet research... :)
[/FONT]

That's probably it. I've never heard of different diameters, just spline counts. It is entirely possible (in fact likely) that the smaller spline count shaft is also smaller in diameter, I have heard of people assembling a 23 spline transfer case and a 21 spline transmission (which would not mesh at all) and not discovering it until the thing wouldn't go anywhere because the splines weren't engaging.

I just measured 31.2mm as the max as I was rotating the caliper on the 96 aw4's 23 spline output. It's kinda hard to get an accurate min since there's an odd # of splines(you'll never be exactly in the middle).

I'm asking about the diameter because I came across this post somewhere. Anyone able to validate this?
"
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Just a though about the t-case hook up. The model 30-43le is the newer model [/FONT][FONT=&quot]transmission[/FONT][FONT=&quot] for the HO 4.0. A model 30-40le is for the Non-HO 4.0. The tail shaft on the 30-40le(old model) is smaller in diameter than the newer model transmission. The older t-case will not go with the newer (91 up) transmissions. Because I tried to put a 91 model 30-43le onto my 92 model engine (no problem) and the the 89 model NP231 would not fit onto the tail shaft."[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is it possible the author thinks its smaller when it actually has a different spline count... hmmm...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You see this is the problem with internet research... :)
[/FONT]

That is referring to the difference between the 21 and 23 spline shafts. The 23 splined shaft is larger. You can bolt a 23 spline tcase to a 21 spline tranny and it will just free-spin for days.

Stroker009-1.jpg

Thank you. The measurement is close enough to mine to make me feel pretty confident that's good. I realized just now that in this case the shaft diameter was increased to accomodate the additional splines. This larger diameter is the primary reason why the 23 spline is "better". I was thinking that the splines were just made a little smaller, like fine-pitch thread on a bolt. That is obviously not what's going on, lol. Thank you all.

Back