• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

28 or 31 spline Ford 9 inch

baldwinwb

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a way to tell if a Ford 9 inch has 31 spline shafts without removing them. My parents have an old 1970 F100 that hasn't been used for years. I guess I'm just lazy, but I would also like to know before I ask my parents if I can have it.

If it is 31 spline, then it should have the 3 holes in the end of the shaft....as shown here:
IMG_6386-2.jpg

baldwinwb said:
Damn they've got a 28. Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to be using a 28. It's about 62" wide, almost perfect. A lot of the local dirt track guys are using them. I figure if I break a shaft I can then upgrade to 31 splines. The axle cost me $30. Disc brakes will be $25, mini-spool $10. I haven't checked gear prices yet, but a buddy of mine will set them up for beer. Pretty cheap! JIM.

ILLXJ said:
I'm going to be using a 28. It's about 62" wide, almost perfect. A lot of the local dirt track guys are using them. I figure if I break a shaft I can then upgrade to 31 splines. The axle cost me $30. Disc brakes will be $25, mini-spool $10. I haven't checked gear prices yet, but a buddy of mine will set them up for beer. Pretty cheap! JIM.

Any idea what it came out of? Or what vehicles would be good candidates for a 28spline 9" about 59-62" wide?

Thanks,
Michael

2xtreme said:
Any idea what it came out of? Or what vehicles would be good candidates for a 28spline 9" about 59-62" wide?

Thanks,
Michael

67-72 F100s have ~61" wide 9" rears. There were 31 splines available those years, but they are pretty rare and most are 28 spline. The end of the axle trick for determining the spline count is not reliable for truck axles - you need to pull them and look. '68 and newer rear ends would be better as the drums are a little bigger than the previous models.

Although not very common, I have also seen rear D44 and semi-float 5x5.5 D60 axles in late sixties Ford trucks that would be XJ sized.

Late sixties Econoline vans may also be a good donor, but I am not positive if the axle width is the same on those.

Thanks,
Exactly what I was looking for.

Michael

2xtreme said:

Thanks,
Michael
I got it from a trailer. But it should have been from a 71 0r 72 F-100. JIM.

Back