• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

258 crank nose ?

Almeek69

NAXJA Forum User
i did search, didnt find the answeri'm geting a 258 crank i know the 4.0 has 54mm nose the crank i'm looking at has a 2" nose is this the right one?

Almeek69 said:
i did search, didnt find the answeri'm geting a 258 crank i know the 4.0 has 54mm nose the crank i'm looking at has a 2" nose is this the right one?

How many counterweights on the one you are getting? Either will work, the one with the serpentine snout has 4 counterweights instead of 12.

What is the part number you are getting?

Almeek69 said:

Yes. It sounds like it's a 4-counterweight crank from an '87-'90 258 so it should have casting no. 3727 stamped on it.

Almeek69 said:
it has 4 counter weights it is comming from oreilly's the only part number is 25300

The 4 weight crank has the correct snout length for a serpentine setup.

CRASH said:
The 4 weight crank has the correct snout length for a serpentine setup.

That's true only for the '87-'90 258 crank (54mm snout). The '81-'86 version also has 4 counterweights but a longer snout (64mm).
Sounds like you have the right crank for the serpentine pulley Almeek69.

thanks for the info just wanted to make sure i get the right one. was woried it was a little short. I am building dr dyno's stroker with a hesco head. hoping to get arround 300 hp.

Sorry to disappoint you but you won't get 300hp from 4.6L. At a push you might reach 270-275 if you copy my combination but with a 9.5:1 CR. That's still a respectable output especially if you have 330lbft of torque. I ported my head pretty much to the max and I can't see Hesco's head being 10hp better with the same stock sized valves.
To get near 300hp you'll need a 4.8L displacement, longer duration cam, and a CR over 10:1.

well so much for wishful thinking. I'm sure I'll be happy with 270. Now I have a stock renix with an exust and header,homebrew fipk,btb

You can either have it machined down or have a spacer cut from a damper or machined fully from steel. either way works!

Back