• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 SYE Recommendations

FYI, the Tom Woods machined shaft is a stock shaft that is machined but it is not fair to call it a hack and tap IMHO. The TW shaft is shorter than a do it yourself hack and tap. He machines the splines further up the shaft than the shaft originally came with. That gives you a shorter output shaft which gives you a better angle to the rear end. In addition, the output bearing is closer to the output yoke for better support.

mainshaftsty231oevsmod.jpg

See the attached PIC for comparison

Last edited:
Huh? That doesn't make since Raptor.....or, maybe I'm confused at what you're saying.
I had a lengthy conversation with Tom Woods on the phone when I was doing my SYE. What Tom ships for the 242 SYE kit is NOT a new shaft. He takes a stock output shaft(cores, just like you said), puts it in a lathe and basically, hacks it off and taps it. It's done with precision and it's done well.

Weirdo, pretty much summed it up. It's a hack and tap that he does for you.......on a lathe.

With that said, I did my own, with the 242 in the Jeep. It was a piece of cake. It was a very straight clean cut too. I was actually kind of impressed with myself.:D I used a cutoff wheel with the Jeep in reverse. I went slow, didn't let it get hot and it turned out great. Don't be scared off by the hack and tap. It boils down to either swaping in a 231, doing the 242 H&T yourself or paying to have someone else do it for you.

Is a lathe NOT a machine!! Ok, maybe the word "new" confuses...... it is new but not in the sence of being used. Come on dude do you need a picture book with wikipedia?? I to had a conversation with TW and I opted to use his " machined and taped " kit.

True, but it sounds like all he machines is the spline area which doesn't make the actual shaft any stronger - so it is essentially still just a hack and tap, right? Unlike the HD SYE you can get for the 231 which gets you a physically stronger shaft.

I do not believe I said anything about a new stronger machined shaft. I said he uses the core that is returned and machines it! What part of he uses the returned core that is so hard to understand :dunno:

FYI, the Tom Woods machined shaft is a stock shaft that is machined but it is not fair to call it a hack and tap IMHO. The TW shaft is shorter than a do it yourself hack and tap. He machines the splines further up the shaft than the shaft originally came with. That gives you a shorter output shaft which gives you a better angle to the rear end. In addition, the output bearing is closer to the output yoke for better support.

mainshaftsty231oevsmod.jpg

See the attached PIC for comparison

that is the pic of the late model 242 shafts, which IS actually re-machined and is definatly a nicer sye than the less expensive hack and tap. the early model shafts are, or atleast seem to be just cut and drilled. for us with early style 242s its a tough decision to fork over that much cash for something that is basically a hack and tap. i think thats what the confusion is with some of the posters on this thread.

Glad to hear there is a major difference between early and late models. I have a late model TW 242 SYE Kit and always get frustrated when this debate comes up. I was beginning to think those of you who say his kit is no different than a DIY H&T had no idea what you were talking about. I guess you all just have early model 242's...

That makes sense... 95 and earlier, yeah, the output shaft is very different.

Anyone got a pic of the 95-down shaft and a 96-up shaft side by side?

I bought a CV yoke locally for a $100 and did the hack-n-tap. I know the TW shaft is a very nice piece, all his stuff is! But, I've beat mine to hell and had no problems, and know many others who have done the same. I'm not saying that it is the way to go for you, but it does work pretty darn good.

The shaft is hardened to at most .050 deep. When you do a hack and tap you are cutting off the hardened end and tapping into mild steel. I would have reason to believe that TW shafts are stock but have been hardened again. That being said, mine is a H&T with a 27cv yoke and a stock front shaft. 90 for the yoke 50 for stock shaft. Took around an hour to do and hasn't had any issue.... yet.......

I went with the iron rock offroad H&T and run a front shaft in the rear so I only have to carry one spare, but I didnt need the sye untill I went to 6.5" I ran a 4.5" for 2 years on my 91 with no sye and no problems or vibes. Spend the money on a d44 for the rear instead with the longer pinion you shouldnt even need a tcase drop and you get added piece of mind. Just a thought.

Back