• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 and a SYE what r my options?

I am trying to learn about and understand the SYE as well. I too have the 242. When you guys say "front shaft" do you mean the output shaft from the tcase?

Rod Knee said:
I am trying to learn about and understand the SYE as well. I too have the 242. When you guys say "front shaft" do you mean the output shaft from the tcase?

no. we mean using a front drive line for the rear after installing the SYE.

So to make a long story short all one would need is a H&T SYE and another front drive shaft and thats it?

75 bucks for a H&T and a front shaft sounds like the way to go.

no you also need the adapter that he mentioned in his post way at the top.
the one from napa for 79.00 or whatever.
1 RE hack n tap flange
2 napa adpter
3 stock front driveshaft from an automatic XJ

can anyone confirm that i can do this on a stock no lift jeep using the stock not alterred front driveshaft. i want to do the sye first then drive it make sure everything is good to go save some money up then lift it.
will the stock front d shaft compress enough for a no lift jeep?

alwaysready said:
can anyone confirm that i can do this on a stock no lift jeep using the stock not alterred front driveshaft. i want to do the sye first then drive it make sure everything is good to go save some money up then lift it.
will the stock front d shaft compress enough for a no lift jeep?

You can not use a stock non altered front drive shaft with a Hack and Tap from RE. This is why the adpator mentioned is for to 'adapt' from a flange to the centering joint of the double cardon joint.
The best way where you dont even need a adptor is to fit a yoke like I did and is covered fully on my site. www.go.jeep-xj.info.

SYE13.jpg

SYE14.jpg

To have the front shaft at the correct length you do need one from an auto and have one yourself as well as a D44 rear axle or 8.25.

Go Jeep,
I knew that i would need the adpter added on to the front of the driveshaft. but what i menat was unmodified in the ways of getting it lengthened.
And in the one pic on your site it shows 2 black shafts assuming front and rear and 1 is longer than the other. assuming it was lengthened at a driveshaft shop.
But now i read something and i think i understand i will have to get the stock front shaft(used in the rear) stretched anyways because i am running a d35 in the rear.
so it sounds like either way i can do the sye but either way i will still have to lengthen the rear shaft, so i will have a modified front shaft in the rear correct?

alwaysready said:
Go Jeep,
I knew that i would need the adpter added on to the front of the driveshaft. but what i menat was unmodified in the ways of getting it lengthened.
And in the one pic on your site it shows 2 black shafts assuming front and rear and 1 is longer than the other. assuming it was lengthened at a driveshaft shop.
But now i read something and i think i understand i will have to get the stock front shaft(used in the rear) stretched anyways because i am running a d35 in the rear.
so it sounds like either way i can do the sye but either way i will still have to lengthen the rear shaft, so i will have a modified front shaft in the rear correct?

Yes you have it correct.

Hey Marcus. I know your rear DL is longer but John said that he used a stock front off of a ZJ which was an inch or so longer and ran that right on his rig. He is at 5.5 - 6 in of lift. This guy was looking at fitting it for 3.5 in so shouldnt a stock XJ (or to go for a longer one ZJ) be just fine for his lift? Yours in the pic only looks to be about an inch longer.

Ive talked to John quite a bit about his set up and am going the same route as his (just gotta go out and find the yoke).

if your talking about mojojojo
then he has 5.5 lift and a 44 the lift would require more shaft and the 44 compared to my 35 would require less shaft.
so i would think they would cancel each other out. and he said he thinks it needs another 1-2 inches..
can anyone confirm the zj shaft being an inch longer?
if so any spefics?

I dont know if the ZJ front driveshaft is longer or not as think all here have a CV and not a double cardon joint anyway. We have only had ZJ since 96.
John also left his output shaft a little longer so he could run that shaft but I have cut mine as short as all other SYE's to get the greatest distance between the unis for less angle as well as less leverage on the output bearing.

The difference in the overall length of the ZJ front driveshaft and the XJ was really negligible....I recall more like 1/4" or so. For all I know that could be due to design tolerances, or lack thereof, more so than any design parameter specifying that length. Another option for this excercise is using a shaft from a Ford Explorer. They have some beefy components and are about the same size.

The ZJ shaft I have is a double Cardan and not the Rzeppa joint or whatever else was being used. I don't know if it's an early unit or maybe a V8 unit....but it is a double Cardan.

I did leave my output shaft a little longer since t-cases are a dime a dozen and I don't drive mine much anymore so the wear aspects are not as important. I also don't think it's likely as bad an issue as some would like to portray. I know the position of the yoke is closer than the old slip yoke used to be and so far, so good.

Back