• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 to 242, worth it?

Dingo509

NAXJA Forum User
I have been thinking about swapping my 231 for a 242, But i keep hearing about the strength of the 242 being an issue. I want the Fulltime mode for winter and full throttle launches. i have a 242 and know what it takes to swap it in but is it worth it. more importantly has anyone actually broke one? And is anyone running one behind a Stroker.

Dingo

I just broke a 242 and in the process of rebuilding it ask we speak. But I was running my dry without knowing about it and I blew a bearing to shreds
I have also so heard about them being weaker than the 231 but I figure if I can beat on it and it still work with no fluid in it, it is strong in my book. Oh and I broke the tail cone in 2. I was kinda hard on my stuff. check out the sierra chapter and frank raines pictures mine is the grey xj stuck in the mud. I have also blown a I6 by driving through 4 1/2' of water without a snorkel and hydro locked it and blew a connecting rod through the block. So I beat on my stuff really hard but what do you expect for 450 bucks.

Last edited:
IMO the 242 is just as strong.......but
the 242 will hang down further giving you less clearance than a 231
the 242 has less upgrade options......i.e. 4:1 gears, 2 low kits, SYE kits, and skid plate options.
if the upgrades don't matter to you then run the 242.

Is it a pretty straight forward swap, I've read a bit on it but not anything consistant on how to. I can pick one up out of a 98 for cheap including the interior bezel. What else is involved, should I also grab the DS ? My 231 has a weeping rear output seal and I figure I'll pull it anyway to do the seal and if it's just a matter of bolting up the 242 I can then do the 231 at my leisure. I also know about the pigtail to get the full time light to work. This 98 was rolled pretty bad otherwise I'd grab the leather seats too....

Warthog said:
IMO the 242 is just as strong.......but
the 242 will hang down further giving you less clearance than a 231
the 242 has less upgrade options......i.e. 4:1 gears, 2 low kits, SYE kits, and skid plate options.
if the upgrades don't matter to you then run the 242.

The only thing im really consernd about is the SYE. I have one on my 231 now and with the axle swap both drivelines are the same length, so i only have to cary one spare. im having trouble finding a SYE that uses a yoke instead of the flange. That's my major consern.

Dingo

as far as I know tom woods is the only game in town for the SYE for this tcase.Its a flange mount but it should be plenty strong. www.4xshaft.com thee is an article in the april 04 issue of JP magazine.p44

ChuckD said:
Farmer Matt I believe still has his 242 behind his strocker. I don't recall him doing any launches with it, but he has been running 35's with an RE H&T.

Nah, he's got a 231. That hing has taken some real abuse with only an RE hack and tap. Behind a stroker no less!

The 242's tend to break at the neckdown for the speedo gear. I've also seen one that was stuck in front drive low range, but sometimes sent power to the back. Weird stuff.

I don't like them because of their complexity, JMHO.

CRASH

ChuckD said:
Farmer Matt I believe still has his 242 behind his strocker. I don't recall him doing any launches with it, but he has been running 35's with an RE H&T.
It's a 231, but it has seen it's share of abuse. I've got a 300 sitting on the shelf waiting for the swap, but the 231 just won't give up the ghost...

Matt

Back