• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 doubler?

Weasel said:
I dunno about those torque numbers, I mean I know the math is right but the only time you are ever going to see that is if your tire is wedged under a rock, not turning and you give it all the power you can. And if thats the case I don't know of much that would hold up.
there were a handful of times on Outer Limits in JV that I had everything bound up enough that I could push to max torque (2500ish) and not budge at all. With about 1260ft/lbs going into my t-case, and 3430 going to the chain, the chain began slipping with a wonderful, loud pop-pop-pop.

I had never experienced this on NorCal trails, but on JV type terrain it is fairly easy.

Surprisingly, nothing broke, not even the Spicer front shafts.

BrettM said:
there were a handful of times on Outer Limits in JV that I had everything bound up enough that I could push to max torque (2500ish) and not budge at all. With about 1260ft/lbs going into my t-case, and 3430 going to the chain, the chain began slipping with a wonderful, loud pop-pop-pop.

I had never experienced this on NorCal trails, but on JV type terrain it is fairly easy.

Surprisingly, nothing broke, not even the Spicer front shafts.

GawdDAMN that is a wonderful sound, eh? :D

Think of the jumping chain as a fuse for your front shafts! I smell a new URF product in the works.................

CRASH said:
GawdDAMN that is a wonderful sound, eh? :D

Think of the jumping chain as a fuse for your front shafts! I smell a new URF product in the works.................

replace a chain or replace front shafts... i think its a toss up on time... :D

This is sorta off topic but I'm planing to double a NP203 to a NP205 for a full size project I'm going to get started on in the next few months. I'm not sure if this would work for an XJ since you have much less room to work with.

CRASH said:
On your original math question, I always figure a 2 to 1 torque converter multiplication on an auto so:

225 ft/lbs x (2.8 1st gear x 2 converter)= 1260 ft lbs to the first 231.

Then 1260ft lbs x 2.72 = 3427 ft lbs. :eek:

[/url]
I don't think that the coverter will actualy increase the torque to the transmission, it certainly changes crawl ratio's (i.e. torque coverter slip) but I don't see any torque multiplication from it as it just changes the rpm of the engine at a given speed. If I am wrong here please explain this to me.
Though I do feel that a doubler infront of a 231 is pushing the tc to the limits of its design. if available a 208 (drivers side drop is available but rare) or 241 would be a better option

baseballneal86 said:
JeepJukka, Can you give me some info on the intermediate shaft?

Thanks

what kind of info you need?

one machine shop made that shaft for me (that shop makes transmission parts to rally cars). made from Imatra 206 steel and forged. shaft cost 100€ (120$)

I've ordered the "Box4Rocks" version of this.

I figure it cost me a little under $400 (I ordered it before the price incread).

I got the front half of a '97 NP231 for free, and paid $50 for an '81 NP208 from a Wagoneer. I'm going to rebuild the NP208, but so far I've got a lot of gearing for not much cash output.

JeepJukka, I was looking at your pics again, and I can't figure out how you're planning to shift the 2nd transfer case. Do you have any pics of it installed in your MJ?

baseballneal86 said:
JeepJukka, I was looking at your pics again, and I can't figure out how you're planning to shift the 2nd transfer case. Do you have any pics of it installed in your MJ?

Ill try to take few pics of it in future, skidplate is now blocking view :)

What kind of torrque do you guys think a 231 with the 241 6 planetary swap ,wide chain and 32 spine output could take? I like the idea of getting 5.44:1 gearing for less than 4:1. A d300 would be ideal but out of my budget right now.

Back