• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

230v welder for Sheet metal?

Markos

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Folks,

I have a wimpy HF 110v flux-core welder that I need to upgrade. I'm taking on a major project that will require a lot of sheet metal welding. I already wired my garage with a dedicated 230v receptacle. Should I go with a larger welder or will it be overkill for my application? I shouldn't be welding anything thicker than 3/16th.

Thanks!

The only problem I see with what you have isn't amperage, but lack of shielding gas. I wish I still had my 110v welder for sheetmetal. My 230v Lincoln just doesn't work as well down at low current.

I definitely want a gas setup. I already have a 10lb CO2 tank for airing up. I don't want a bigger welder to actually hold me back. I assume that isn't the case. I know this has been beaten to death. Shame on me for not searching. ;)

My 220v Miller does sheetmetal just the same as thick plate, awesomely!! If you truely never plan on thicker the 3/16 a GOOD 110v welder would be fine. But also remember, a larger 220v will have a better duty cycle for more welding.

A 110v welder will work just fine for your needs. You will have to change out the wire to a larger size when you weld thicker material, but thats a minor inconvenience.

A good 220v welder should be able to weld sheet as well as it welds larger stuff. If you decide to go that route, some places let you test out or even rent equipment.

I have a lincoln 180C welding 16 gauge (1/16") with .35 flux core fine.
Running mig would be way better for sheet.

Only sheet I've had problems blowing through is some parts of the xj body. Not sure how thin it gets.

I ordered this one few months ago
www . tscstores . com/180A-230V-POWERWELD-MINI-MIG-WELDER-P20997.aspx#.VURvxfmqrBE
works like charm for me hope i t works for you as well.

Back