• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2015 Uwharrie Workdays

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
I'm going up Saturday morning. If any of you guys can make it please do! I'm sorry it's such late notice. I'll try and post these up on the ones I can attend. Here is the schedule this year. URE is in danger and needs our help.

2015 Work Day Schedule

1/24
2/21
3/21
4/18
5/16
6/13
7/18
8/15
9/19
10/24
11/21

No December Work Day.

Work day coming up guys.... Pulled this form the NC4x4 Thread:http://www.nc4x4.com/forum/threads/february-2015-ure-workday.160446/

[QUOTE="krzyabncanuck,]Was just out today on the trails to see what all we will be working on this next workday. We have 4 different sections of guard rail that needs to be put up for a total of 1000 feet on Daniel alone. That is not even touching the I285 section which will be put off till later. The plan right now is to break into about 5 groups of workers and get working on guard rail and a small team working with a Sawyer to block a few other sections off on Daniel also. We also have set up some work to be done on RML if we have enough folks / supplies.

We have gone thru a lot of guard rail this last year and are about out of it right now. Just put an order in for 3,000.00 worth of it but I have no clue how far that will get us to the 1000 feet we have a need for on Daniel alone. If I remember correctly it should put us very close to that amount of feet that we need. It will be dropped off in the double parking lot for us I have already requested.

Sorry it took awhile to get this out but we had to get 3 people's schedules to work just right to meet up out there today. All area's that need the guard rail has been flagged their entire length. All 4 spots are on the back side of Daniel between the top and the top of I285 . I285 is where it gets about 10 lanes wide .
[/QUOTE]

They will need people to drag guardrail from the double parking lot to the sections on the back side of Daniel. I plan on being there. Lets get some NAXJA guys there and help keep this place open......

Man I wish I didn't work on Saturdays and I could get out to more of these. Closer to summer I'll try to get time off to go to at least one

Planning on attending this again this weekend. Should be a fun mess!

A few shots from the work February work day....

At the end of the day it was almost as bad as a wet URE day. I was almost the only one that could move the guardrail it was so slick. Ended up making at least 6 runs into Daniel dragging guardrail. At least it's almost all in position for the next work day to get installed. This I believe is what is needed to be done to keep the higher ups happy and this trail open.

Nice pics! Sorry I didn't make it. Way to much family stuff going on at the last minute this weekend.

Thanks guys! Was fun dragging the rail and being challenged to get it to the job sites. I'll be missing the next one.

Next work day is Saturday:

Hi Everyone – I hope you’re all doing well. The next Volunteer Work Day is Saturday, May 16th!! I won’t be there this month as I’ll be traveling to a trails symposium in OR on Saturday. Joel Hardison will be working with you all for this work day. Jeff Greene & Pete Powell may also help out too.

Here’s the plan for this month. Meet Joel at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp at 9 am and get signed in. Continue with the installation of guardrail on Daniel Trail. These sections have been flagged already by Joel, Darin & myself. These are the sites labeled A & B and the section in-between A & B that is to be slashed in. The guardrails and posts are on site already so once every meets up and gets signed in with Joel you’ll all be able to head out to the Daniel Trail. The slashing in of the ridge line will take folks with winches that can winch trees a ways from the trail and then basically line them along the edge of the trail to make a boundary to indicate where the trail really is.

We have gotten a big supply of our fiberglass / carsonite signs in so I’ll have them ready with the “No Vehicle” signs to be put up behind the slash & guardrail and in the illegal bypasses. We appreciate your help and continued support on the trails.

Bye - Terry

Next work day is June 13th:

Hi Everyone – The next Volunteer Work Day is June 13th. Joel & I will meet you at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp at 9 am. The plan for this work day is to complete the guardrail installation at the top of Daniel Trail and to do some signing and blazing of the system trail. We will also re-install the guardrail at the top of the rock crawl on Dickey Bell Trail (if we have time).

Please bring food and water and extra augers, shovels, ratchets, shovels, sledge hammers, gloves, etc. Joel mentioned that those of you that worked at the last work day thought it might be good to have a bobcat & auger there for the Daniel Trail section that is left to do. Let me know if you’ve got someone working on getting one rented and if there will be an equipment operator among the volunteers there to help out. We can use this for in-kind matching for our grants too.

Bye the way, for the clubs that haven’t turned in their Adopt a Trail forms please email them to me before the 13th or bring them that day. I’m finally updating the information for the kiosks (instead of doing the trail signs that keep getting stolen or vandalized) and I want to make sure I have all of the current adoptees on the list when I put the signs up on all of the TH kiosks this June. I don’t have anything back from the following clubs – Bragg 4x4, UNCC Off Road, CROC, and Carolina Broncos. I know a lot of your groups are still volunteering and some new groups have talked to me but haven’t sent any paperwork back. If your club doesn’t want to adopt a trail anymore and just volunteer when you can that is ok but please email me back and let me know that is what your club wants to do.

Thanks a lot everyone. We really appreciate your help. See you on June 13th. Bye - Terry

I'm not going to make it Saturday but here is the info.

Hi Everyone – This is a friendly reminder that this month’s work day is this Saturday, June 13th. We’ll meet at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp at 9 am. Joel & I will be working with you. Snappy will be there with a bobcat and the group with him will concentrate on getting the Daniel Trail work completed. We have 2 new augers that we’ll bring with us and if we have enough people there we’ll take another group to work on Dickey Bell Trail. There are a few sections of split rail down and then we have the guardrail to reinstall that is at the top of the hill climb to do with the hand augers.

I also have some new signs to install in areas we’re we’ve already barricade. They are large (18” x 20”) signs to put up so if folks have battery powered drills / screw drivers & a ladder so that we can install these high up on trees (somewhat out of people’s reach) then I can have a small group of folks know where to install these signs along the trails.

Bring lunch, water, work gloves, sunscreen, etc. to be prepared for a hot day. I have to leave off the trails and head to the office by 3 pm & I think we’ll be done by then. Thanks again everyone. See you Saturday. Bye - Terry

I am going to try and make this workday:

Hi Everyone – The next work day is November 21 at 9 am at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp. The projects will be installing guardrail and signs on Dickey Bell Trail and armoring RML trail and Dickey Bell Trail and maybe a couple of other trails depending on how much cobble size rock we have stockpiled on the forest. We’ll need vehicles that can haul posts and drag guardrail from the Arrowhead Campground spray field and vehicles or trail trailers that can be used to haul rock from our stock pile to the different locations on the trails. I hope to have this all flagged out before the work day. I do have some of the sites flagged out on Dickey Bell Trail that we didn’t get done last time.

I’ll have the specific number of posts & rails needed for the different guardrail installation sites & I’ll have the sections of armoring determined for the rock placement before we meet up on the 21st. Make sure to have your work gloves, boots, water, food, etc.

Pete, Rodney & Jeff – Let me know if any of you can work on this work day with me. I think it’ll go smoother if we have 2 FS folks there to work with the different groups. Thanks.

Bye - Terry

Back