• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2002 Grand Cherokee not cranking...

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
2002 grand cherokee laredo 4x4 auto 4.7L.

The ole ladies jeep is having a starting issue, turn the key and everything gets power but no crank. I can hear the starter relay click once but nothing at all after that. Keep turning the key and eventually it cranks strongly like there's not a problem.

Took the starter to get tested, they said its passing but barely because the gear has the play in it but that shouldn't cause a no crank. Have a new starter but haven't put it in yet so a new one may fix this...

Battery is testing ok, fuses all test ok, swapped starter relay around with no change, no corrosion on the battery(cable may have some corrosion inside, I need to look further but I don't think that would cause the no crank like this).

I thought to check the Crank position sensor but I think that would cause no fire but it would still crank? I plan to check for voltage at the starter once the new one is in. A friend suggested the ignition key wiring as the problem but I assume since the starter relay is clicking that the key wiring is doing its job. I am leaning towards the wiring from the battery to starter, starter itself or sensor somewhere.

Anything to look for on these thats common, I am new to the Grands(we both love the v8 though :smootch: ).

Seems as if a new starter has fixed it. I only did 5-6 test starts in the garage but it cranked over every time. The connection on the starter was a nightmare, the plastic release would not release for me at all. Ended up breaking the starter side of the plug. If it had not been for that plug not disconnecting it would have been a 20 minute job ugggh.

If it does it again in a few days it is the TRS in the transmission. The NSS is located in the TRS. Do not buy a cheap rebuilt one. Get a new MoPar part. I think mine was $200 from a MoPar vendor on the net. I fought this issue for months on my 04 WJ.

If it does it again in a few days it is the TRS in the transmission. The NSS is located in the TRS. Do not buy a cheap rebuilt one. Get a new MoPar part. I think mine was $200 from a MoPar vendor on the net. I fought this issue for months on my 04 WJ.

Good to know thanks, seeing the starter pass the bench test over and over has me really hesitant to think a new starter solved the issue.

I went as far as to take mine to the dealership for a diagnostic. They determined it was a $600 TCM. That wasn't the problem at all. The hardest part about replacing the TRS is dropping the pan. Trying to get it out around the cats and pipes will test your patience. Dropping the valve body was a cake walk.

Back