• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Wheel Lug Removal?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a couple lug bolts I need to replace as apparently last time I had my tires rotated at the shop (I normally do it but was in a hurry) they cross threaded a couple bolts. That has been a long time ago so a couple days back I had to pull my tire and plug a nail hole... and noticed 2 bolts that were buggered up. So bought a couple new ones, pulled the tire, brake caliper and rotor and then when I go to remove one of the bolts, there's no room to remove it.

I'm I going to have to remove the entire hub and axle just to get these bolts swapped out? That is pure suckage if that's the case. Any tips or help would be appreciated. All the messages/posts I've read said it was as simple as I was thinking, but apparently on my '01 XJ that's not the case. :(

Yep. Just get the Penetrating Fluid soaking those three bolts that hold the hub assembly to the knuckle. If you've never unbolted those get ready for a battle. Good Luck!

As mentioned, just remove the 3 unit bearing hub bolts and remove the unit bearing and axle shaft as one unit. You do not need to remove the center hub bolt.

To pop off the unit bearing assembly, use this cool trick found here...

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/unitbearing/unitbearing-1.htm

Let your steering wheel do the work....

Yep. Just get the Penetrating Fluid soaking those three bolts that hold the hub assembly to the knuckle.

also hit them with a wire brush as best as you can so you're not trying to turn the bolt with all that crud on the exposed threads through the hole. it will make your life much easier.

While you that far along to replace the studs. Depending on mileage and what shape they are in you might as well just replace the hub assembly. The new units come with all new studs already pressed on. Just my two cents. Preventative maintenance.

I did pull the hub assembly off and replaced those 2 damaged bolts. The OE hub bearings had a slight bit of play so I'm going to keep it as a spare. Ordered a new Timken hub f/ Azone and they should have it at the store by 12:30ish... they are only a block away so I'll just walk over and get it.

Might as well replace it w/all new parts while it's apart and since it has 135K miles on it. :)

Thanks for the tips and information all!!

Back