• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ classic Backspacing

smiley

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I seem to be one of the few. I have the alloy wheel 5 spoke 16in rim. What is my backspacing? All the info I find is for the earlier jeeps with 15 inch rim.

Like these?
IMG_3409.jpg

or these?
OtherUltrastars.jpg

Too lazy to take one off and measure it youself? ;)

Last edited:
I can get an ok measurement but I just moved and have zero tools and live in an apt. Like the first ones. Do u know the center ring size for when I order centric rings aftermarket wheels?

I have a set of the "Icon" wheels (first ones pictured) but they are on the car. I can measure the center diameter on a set of turbine wheels if you like. No guarantee that they are the same, but I don't see why they wouldn't be..

5" or 5.25" backspacing on the Icons, depending on who you ask. Not sure about hub size (I've never measured), but 71.5mm is the number I see most places.

SuperRA if you have the Icon wheels off and get a chance give it a quick measure. You think information would be abundant for all of this stuff. I guess its out there... just really hard to find.

Well, I measured a turbine wheel center boreand I realized I couldn't use my caliper inside the wheel, so the best measurement I could get was 2-25/32" with a tape measure. That comes to 70.6mm which is probably the 71.5mm number mentioned above.

I don't plan to have the icon wheels off anytime soon, but I'll try to remember to do so if I do.

hubs97xj.... have you actually googled and found a specific answer to my questions... because I have gone to page 10 reading all of the fourms that pop up in that search and I still have not found my exact answer.

I googled exactly what I suggested you use as a query, and (with a few exceptions), it all says the same thing. 5-5.25", 5.25 for Jeep alloys, 5.25 for all 7" wide wheels, and so on. Same with center bore.

FWIW, my buddy has 15x8 wheels with 3.5" of backspacing, and they stick out further than stock, so I know I can ignore any post where some kid claims stock wheels were less than 4" of backspacing.

You could also measure your spare.

I appreciate all the help guys.

Don't have a full size spare and the classic came with a 16 in wheel so it is a little different than most jeeps. I just want to get this right because I can't afford to ship back rims after I order them. I actually called Jeep and they didn't know the answer for sure.

Why would the backspacing on a 16" XJ rim be different than a 15" XJ rim ?

I got 16's on my 2000 when I bought it. I sold them for a good price to a KJ Liberty owner, and installed XJ 15" rims.

A 16" XJ or 16" KJ rim will work. You could also use a 15" rim and tire that has the same measured tire diameter as your 16" tires.

Last edited:
Yea I do but unfortunately I have about 1/2 of my lugs are missing their chrome caps so I dont have a tool that will remove both size lugs... lol, my life doesn't go the easy route.

Back