• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 Wrangler 2.5

Sarge

NAXJA Forum User
I currently drive a 2004 Dodge QuadCab SLT with the hemi and love it but can't afford the payments. Looking at trading it for a 2000 Wrangler with the 2.5L, 5 speed, and 95102 miles. Anything I should look for on it? Or known weak points to be aware of should the deal go thru? Yes, I know the 2.5 is a little bitty motor but it'll definitely get better mileage than the hemi. No XJ's at the dealer in my range.

Sarge

No thoughts?

Front and rear axles -- 30 or 35's, right?
What is the 5spd? A NV3550? Is this good/bad?
What's the transfer case? NP231?
Should I decide to do so down the road, are there many choices on motor swaps?
Are there cooling issues on the smaller motor like on the 4.0? (Recently had a XJ with the 4.0).

Sarge

Sarge said:
No thoughts?

Front and rear axles -- 30 or 35's, right?
What is the 5spd? A NV3550? Is this good/bad?
What's the transfer case? NP231?
Should I decide to do so down the road, are there many choices on motor swaps?
Are there cooling issues on the smaller motor like on the 4.0? (Recently had a XJ with the 4.0).

Sarge

Just in case you are looking at one again, NV1500 trans, NP231 21 spline input t-case. They crack exhaust manifolds and break the exhaust manifold end studs off. Pretty much gutless unless you rev the crap out of them, gas mileage isn't as great as you would think.

Thanks. Did find a local with one like the one I was looking at. He stated that it was sorta gutless unless you revved to about 3000. Not a real good highway handler. But he was getting around 19-20mpg. Hemi pulls 12 most of the time. But then it'll also burn the tires thru first, second and sometimes into third. *grin* Dealer also had a sweet looking Gold Eagle sitting there.

Sarge

Back