• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$2000 paperweight!

Ok, i finally got my friend over to help out some. First off, I was wrong.....no spark. (But I didnt check until after i bought a new cps) Still tries to crank, the cps carries nice current. He then checked the ignition coil......somewhere around there is the culprit. He noticed that some of the connecting wired were frayed/showing. Any ideas?
Does it mean anything when the tach dont move??
Remember, I still have power....

Fix the frayed wires of course. Good Luck. Greg

well, ignition coil is good, cps is good.......what else could be wrong? Same thing.....no turnover, just keeps on a crankin

do you have an extra computer to try? Mine went out sitting in the parking lot of the exhaust shop. The owner of the shop was freaking out thinking one of his guys had messed up the jeep some how. It cranked and ran to pull off his lift and wouldnt start when I came to pick it up. I thought it was a cps too. After I replaced it still no start. Put the scanner on and it(computer) wouldnt communicate with the scanner, meant either connection bad or computer bad. Put in the computer out of my parts mj and fired right up. Thats 3 in 3 years for me.:confused:

btw whats the part the coil bolts too. That module(?) had some burned spots on its bottom when I was swapping stuff of my mj before we got the scanner on the xj.

Hmm, Coil is good, but no spark to plugs. Check the Distributor cap and rotor ?? Coil wire or plug wires maybe ? Sounds to me like it has to be something in between the plugs and coil.

sorry, I assumed (eeek) the coil was actually sparking and not just testing good, is there an actual spark from the coil wire if you pull it from the cap and hold it over to the block ??

The tachometer feed is off the negative pole of the coil primary, so if the tach is dead that likely means you aren't feeding current through the coil. I'd start looking at those frayed wires.

Have you checked to see if you get power to the Ign. module (under the coil) when the key is on? I'm thinking since you had some kind of electrical glitch (flickering lights) before it died, maybe the ignition switch went out or the switch connecter burnt up and you lost power to the module. Would be an easy check with a test light or a meter. I have a Haynes Manual wiring diagram and don't trust it enough to tell you which connecter on the module to unplug, and which wire to test. Maybe someone with a FSM can chime in.

Only other thing I can think of to test is the stator in the distributor. After this point you might think of having a scanner hooked up to check it like yellowxj mentioned, since I don't know if there is any other way to check the computor or the ign. module.

Good luck!!!

Funny huh? stupid new computer says not to expose to high heat or humidity...wtf...thats trail riding in florida, funny but I do have a spare now...:mad:

the frayed wires : there is a possibility that they are burnt (how far? I don't know)

CPS : both old and new test good with the ohm. The harness tests good as well.

The coil : tested good with ohm meter but I havent had a second set of hands to test for an actual spark....BUT, I bought another one and tried it....and still no turnover.

So, It could be the computer? Would it be an easy j-yard find? and how hard is it to swap (location wise).

Im getting a bit frustrated about the whole thing.....not having a car really sucks. Im about (--) this close to taking it to a shop just so I can have it running. Ive already dished out about $200 and im still in the same spot.
So......any ideas/ comments.....fire away!

Should be able to find a puter easy in the boneyard, to get the computer out you have to lay on the drivers side floor with your head near the gas pedel and look up, you will see the computer above, its held in with 2 nuts all the way at the top. A 1/4 drive socket and ratchet may get the nuts off, doing it with a wrench works too but you'll have to stop a lot to let the cramps and muscle spasms stop from laying upside down on the floor with your arm up in the dash, its not hard just painfull if your 6'2" 250lb and your jeep is lifted 8 or 9 inches :mad:
A quick scan by a repair shop should show you if the computers not working, some times its worth the $50-$75 diagnostic charge.

Well, my friend is gonna borrow a tow bar (It's ok to do this right?) and he was gonna tow it to a shop for a diagnostic (FREE!) so we can find out whats wrong, ten fix it ourselves. BUT, the only free time we both have at the same time is saturday.....so once again, i get to play the waiting game.
If I do have to replace the computer, what years are compatible?

Last edited:
Back