• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$20 XJ snorkel. Pics of what I did.

On a 4 dr it will be hard to fit 34" with 3" lift bc of the rear door. You will need to go flairless or use tj flairs and do alot of sheetmetal cutting, and also extended bumpstops. It is possible, but it will be alot of cutting and work.

Anything can fit with imagination and a sawzall :)

Big thumbs up for tearing into a nicely undented, non rusted XJ...

Kudos for not caring about how it looks...

Be proud of your work...

You didn't pay a coupla hundred bucks for "fancy" abs or pvc...

Now go fording and videotape it.

haha resale value, sounds like my dad :laugh3:

It is a pity that you ran so small a pipe. You must at least run the throttle body bore of 60 mm and that wont even compensate for all the extra restriction caused by the added length. You dp not even have any ram air effect to help it along either. When doing flow calculations for the XJ snorkel by Airflow engineering, 3" was needed to deliever enough flow at WOT.

Ludakris said:
I see one rather big problem. You cant remove the air box. if you need to do anything on that side of the engine, or deal with brake lines, p/s etc, your air box is glued in now. also.. I dont get the duct tape.. why not just permanantly seal the front up? here is what I did...

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748649/3
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748649/2

With the rubber piece (also found on the plumbing section) I can remove the box after removing a hose clamp. I also sealed up the front of the box with a piece of sheetmetal and silicone. I used steel pipe mounts, bent and screwed into the A pillare were the door closes. very simple, very effective.

....Those flairs are fabulous....

Gojeep said:
It is a pity that you ran so small a pipe. You must at least run the throttle body bore of 60 mm and that wont even compensate for all the extra restriction caused by the added length. You dp not even have any ram air effect to help it along either. When doing flow calculations for the XJ snorkel by Airflow engineering, 3" was needed to deliever enough flow at WOT.

I dont buy that. The OEM opening is 2" by 3" and behind the headlight. not much flow there. The added length is something.. but I dont see major HP losses. The aftermarket snorkels I see go from round to square to 90 degree bends to flexible hose. I would bet my 2" constant ID PVC has more flow than a Safari Snorkel... the length as well as the Air box, take any Ram Air effect and throw it out the window. Besides, if I wanted HP I would put an open air filter and Scoop on the hood.. I just want my engine to survive a water crossing...

The flares were $30.. and do the job.. and the front ones have a nice beer holder in them..

Ive never had a problem with air flow Gojeep....When Im not off road I open the stock hole. Off road the snorkel does great. It seems as if I get the same horse power if not more really. Engineers say alot of things to get you to buy their products. I would know, Im studying to be one at Miami University. Here's a copy of my mid-term grades I just recieved.
Brian

Midterm Grades Brian M. Hayes
Second Semester 2004-05
Mar 10, 2005 12:45 pm

Degree: B.S. in Applied Science
Major: Engineering Technology
Level: Undergraduate

Coursework
CRN Subject Course Section Course Title Campus Midterm Grade Credits Level
23423 COM 135 H A Intro: Publ Express & Crit Inq Hamilton B+ 3.000 Undergraduate
24702 EDL 110 H B The University And The Student Hamilton A 1.000 Undergraduate
23481 ENG 007 H C Fundamentals Of Writing Hamilton A+ 3.000 Undergraduate
28492 ENT 135 H A Computer-Aided Drafting Hamilton A+ 3.000 Undergraduate
27850 MTH 007 H B Numbers & Computation Workshop Hamilton A+ 3.000 Undergraduate

lol.....bbq grill.....its a rack that goes in between the racks to hold up the skids at an old job I worked...BBQ grill..lol...I once incorperated a socket wrench into a design of mine though. Hey, if it works, use it.
Brian

craftsman sockets make the perfect spacer on a dodge alternator...

Ludakris said:
I dont buy that. The OEM opening is 2" by 3" and behind the headlight. not much flow there. ..

A 2" pipe is way smaller in area than a 2"x3" hole!
You are looking at 2124 mm2 verses 3952 mm2!! You are just in that nearly running half of what many say is too small an opening to the stock box!
Dont discount ram air as many on LPG have had to turn their snorkel heads sideways as the gas meterage couldn't cope with the extra pressure on some models.
Why dont you just work out your CFM for a 4.0 litre at 5000 revs and compare that to the flow rate possible for a 2" pipe?

Just trying to point out a short coming to help you and before others follow your lead. If the snorkel is only used when crossing water where you do not ever see high revs it is an adequate idea and no different to the one I ran myself until last week to the top of the firewall. Was just worried for those that do not do this and has it breathing through there all the time ;)

Gojeep said:
A 2" pipe is way smaller in area than a 2"x3" hole!
You are looking at 2124 mm2 verses 3952 mm2!! You are just in that nearly running half of what many say is too small an opening to the stock box!
Dont discount ram air as many on LPG have had to turn their snorkel heads sideways as the gas meterage couldn't cope with the extra pressure on some models.
Why dont you just work out your CFM for a 4.0 litre at 5000 revs and compare that to the flow rate possible for a 2" pipe?

Just trying to point out a short coming to help you and before others follow your lead. If the snorkel is only used when crossing water where you do not ever see high revs it is an adequate idea and no different to the one I ran myself until last week to the top of the firewall. Was just worried for those that do not do this and has it breathing through there all the time ;)

thats a 2x3 inch hole that is shoved behind alot of stuff... besides that it goes into the air box... Am I starving the engine at 5000rpm.. no I do not believe I am.. the ram air is still not an issue.. turning sideways would cause more of a vacuum than turning it backwards.. but back to 5000RPM.. christ, that is almost at its redline.. its not like I am drag racing this thing.. Its used offroad... I would be surprised if I hit 4000 rpm.. When my engine starts starving for air.. I will let you know and go over board with a 3" pipe.. cause we all know that bigger is better, that is why engine builders dont bother tunning intake runners, they just make them as big as possible..

HaZakated said:
Ive never had a problem with air flow Gojeep....When Im not off road I open the stock hole. Off road the snorkel does great. It seems as if I get the same horse power if not more really. Engineers say alot of things to get you to buy their products. I would know, Im studying to be one at Miami University. Here's a copy of my mid-term grades I just recieved.
Brian

Midterm Grades Brian M. Hayes
Second Semester 2004-05
Mar 10, 2005 12:45 pm

Degree: B.S. in Applied Science
Major: Engineering Technology
Level: Undergraduate

Coursework
CRN Subject Course Section Course Title Campus Midterm Grade Credits Level
23423 COM 135 H A Intro: Publ Express & Crit Inq Hamilton B+ 3.000 Undergraduate
24702 EDL 110 H B The University And The Student Hamilton A 1.000 Undergraduate
23481 ENG 007 H C Fundamentals Of Writing Hamilton A+ 3.000 Undergraduate
28492 ENT 135 H A Computer-Aided Drafting Hamilton A+ 3.000 Undergraduate
27850 MTH 007 H B Numbers & Computation Workshop Hamilton A+ 3.000 Undergraduate

Nice report card Brian, but I don't see your grade for course NEWB ENG EGO 101? Guessing your doing well in this one though.
What GoJeep is trying to point out is that your pipe size sucks....and not in a good way, tuned runner? Hehehehe Learn to accept constructive criticism from folks with hands-on knowledge, it'll make you a better engineer.

I'm not an engineer either, but I do know one that cooks a mean tri-tip......

XJEEPER said:
Nice report card Brian, but I don't see your grade for course NEWB ENG EGO 101? Guessing your doing well in this one though.
What GoJeep is trying to point out is that your pipe size sucks....and not in a good way, tuned runner? Hehehehe Learn to accept constructive criticism from folks with hands-on knowledge, it'll make you a better engineer.

I'm not an engineer either, but I do know one that cooks a mean tri-tip......

Yep it is Good to listen. Wasn't that how those A+'s got on your report card.
Good job by the way.

Your right....I shouldn't have put my mid-term grades. I understand what he was doing. I was trying to establish some credibility with my grades. I said it like I knew it all......... 3" pipe would not fit into the setup I have. I agree that if you cover the stock air intake hole all the time, it only makes sence to get bigger pipe to compensate for the added air travel distance. I didnt do the math though.

sometimes, even the older wiser people with hands on knowlege get to sure of themselves. kinda like this message I recieved from you...

(Nice report card Brian, but I don't see your grade for course NEWB ENG EGO 101? Guessing your doing well in this one though. What GoJeep is trying to point out is that your pipe size sucks....and not in a good way, tuned runner?)

I worked hard and long for those grades and yes I am proud of them. I am 25 with two little jeepers of my own. I have been slaving in construction and forklift operation for 6 years, and now that I have this opportunity, yes I am proud of them. Your right though, I came about it the wrong way. No excuse. If your relating my pride to my ego, then yes, I have a huge ego.

Brian

Last edited:
I have two 4 year degrees... but who really cares? I think you both have valid points, but I am going to lean towards having a little larger diameter, especially with the distance involved. A good source of air is critical so you don't want to error on the short side. Nice engineering though. Way to take the initiative! And yes, it is good to listen... there is always someone that has tried it before you...
For anyone reading that hasn't replaced their stock air intake, you might want to take a look at how limited it really is! I couldn't believe how choked my engine was until I tore out the OEM garbage!

(License Plate)
"IF YOU CAN'T STOP, SMILE AS YOU GO UNDER!"

90 XJ 4.0L I6 Auto
11" Lift, Rustys Longarm Kit, OTK Steering, 4.56 Gears, D30/Ford 8.8, Eaton E-Locker (rear), K&N Cold Air Intake, 35X12.50 BFG MT KM's on Eagle Alloy 15X10's, 6-States Driveshaft, Cracked Windshield, tree damage, oxidation...
Inland Northwest Adventures.com
ELKWA02052005-JUMP.jpg

Last edited:
Good job on the low buck snorkel and the schooling Brian and your ability to take a jab.....not gonna repeat the PM, we're square.

Your low buck snorkel looks good. I was just wondering why it wasn't turned around like the Safari Snorkel's? I figured it might of been because of the rain.?.maybe... I know that the Safari Snorkel addresses the rain issue within it's design somehow...at least from what I've read about it. I think it's cool to do low-budget mods and save hundreds of dollars. GOOD JOB.
Aron

Back