• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2" and 33's LCOG Budget

saybye

NAXJA Forum User
Bare with me here as Im just getting started on this. Before I got started on it last night this was a bone stock 92 XJ that was given to me by a cousin. Still have lots to do, trimming, move shock tabs, bumpstops, sliders, bumpers, Spartan locker, etc.

Got my shackle relocation kit and shackles installed. Removed rear sway bar, unbolted front sway bar. Dropped in a new to me dana 30, the other one had the ring gear and pinion grenaded due to no gear dope in the diff, imagine that!

Threw some 2" spacers under the front while I was under it and some RE shocks I had laying around.

With that said I snapped a few pics last night before going in, heres the rear without the trim job. Opinions on shackle angle?

Front showing 2" spacer and RE shocks. These shocks I believe are 10" from what I remember, Ill verify when I get home. Can I make these work by throwing some bump stops in the coils? Ive got some shorter 8" I can swap out to if need be...

And started trimming on the front fenders. Plan on putting the factory fender flares back on once all is said and done. Here's how it sits before I went to bed last night. Tires are 33x10.5x15 KM2's on soft 8's with 3.75" offset.

Post your opinions if you've been down this road. Ive been through a bunch of these locg post so I think Im on the right track so far... :confused1

In my opinion i would run a shorter body shock where you can get around 3.5" to 4"s of up travel there it looks like you only have about 2" a shock will travel that during normal driving conditions. Also if you have any other leaves lating around i would try to add another main leaf to the rear to prevent breaking the main leaf wich is common. But other than that so far so good should be a fun rig!:patriot:

In my opinion i would run a shorter body shock where you can get around 3.5" to 4"s of up travel there it looks like you only have about 2" a shock will travel that during normal driving conditions. Also if you have any other leaves lating around i would try to add another main leaf to the rear to prevent breaking the main leaf wich is common. But other than that so far so good should be a fun rig!:patriot:

Your right on the shocks, I believe Im going to have to use the other ones. Ive got another set of the factory 1/2" or whatever they are coil spacers I could stack in there which Ive considered doing but still believe Ill have to change the shocks.

As it sits in that 3rd picture Ive got about a 1.5" rake on the Jeep which I think is gonna be ok considering they usually sag in the ass end. Plus by the time I get my spare, lift and other junk in the back it should sit about level.

That leaf pack looks stressed. And are those AutoZone shackles? Maybe try a MJ shackle and add in another leaf. Although I really think you should consider a new leaf pack.

That leaf pack looks stressed. And are those AutoZone shackles? Maybe try a MJ shackle and add in another leaf. Although I really think you should consider a new leaf pack.

Autozone shackles are the only way to go! Haha yeah I agree the springs don't look healthy, I'll keep an eye on them!

You can gain a few inches of front shock travel by reworking and relocating the front lower mount. Here's a shot of how I did mine, (note the shock tabs are tacked on, as I was determining final position). This setup allows me to run a 12" travel shock up front (5.5" of lift). You want to shoot for 4-4.5" of available shock up travel from static height, so 10" travel shock would have 4" up and 6" down travel from static.

000_0552.jpg

Side photo, you can see that there is room to move the shock mount tabs even lower on the LCA mount if you want. This would just mean that you would need to unbolt your shock to remove the LCA bolt, which isn't a big deal.

100_2913.jpg

I am running the same tire, same backspace on the wheel, same fender cut out and stock flares as you are going to do.
My shocks are 10" stroke.

24qiav8.jpg

I needed 3" of additional bump stop, at full stuff the tire will still slightly rub the upper front of the wheel well, and these tires are VERY used and the shocks don't quite go full up stroke.
I have 3" lift springs so that is the only real difference in our set ups.
You will be using your shocks for bump stops, definitely too long for that height.

Last edited:
You can gain a few inches of front shock travel by reworking and relocating the front lower mount. Here's a shot of how I did mine, (note the shock tabs are tacked on, as I was determining final position). This setup allows me to run a 12" travel shock up front (5.5" of lift). You want to shoot for 4-4.5" of available shock up travel from static height, so 10" travel shock would have 4" up and 6" down travel from static.

000_0552.jpg

Side photo, you can see that there is room to move the shock mount tabs even lower on the LCA mount if you want. This would just mean that you would need to unbolt your shock to remove the LCA bolt, which isn't a big deal.

100_2913.jpg

Great idea, seems simple enough! I was actually pondering on something similar last night.

I am running the same tire, same backspace on the wheel, same fender cut out and stock flares as you are going to do.
My shocks are 10" stroke.

24qiav8.jpg

I needed 3" of additional bump stop, at full stuff the tire will still slightly rub the upper front of the wheel well, and these tires are VERY used and the shocks don't quite go full up stroke.
I have 3" lift springs so that is the only real difference in our set ups.
You will be using your shocks for bump stops, definitely too long for that height.

Ill more than likely end up swapping out to 3" springs, thanks for the input. Im gonna pm you.

Got it rolled out of the garage yesterday for the first time. You can see my attempt at cutting the fenders and reusing the factory fender flares.

Back