• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1st half of the tank of gas lasts so much longer than the 2nd half

The more you guys test that last 1/8 of the tank the sooner you'll be on here crying: "Why do I have to replace so many fuel pumps?", "How did I get so much water in my gas tank? , blah, blah, blah. It doesn't cost any more to drive on the top half of the gas tank than the bottom half. Treat 1/4 tank as empty and your pump will last a lot longer. Gas cools the pump motor and the motor RPM's skyrocket when sucking air. They don't test fuel pumps for how long they run dry.

X2

Use the last 1/4 as an emergency reserve and you will never run out of gas (unless you are outside the range for that 1/4 tank). Again, the added bonus is keeping the pump cool. Only took me one humiliating walk of shame to the nearest gas station for a "rented" can and a gallon of gas. Ironically less than a block from the home of an ex girlfriend (now my wife). I was more paranoid about being spotted by her.

Maybe I just have a fuel pump made in heaven, but I've owned my 97 for 2 years this month, has a little over 200k on it, and I have ran out of gas AT LEAST 15 times. Still works like a champ. Not saying it's good, but I guess I'm lucky.

Here's a little something I did when I took apart my gauge cluster. Move the needle yourself. By that I mean take it out, put it where you want it to read when empty, and leave it alone. My gas light comes on right after I pass the 1/4 tank mark, and I know I'm about to run out when it kisses the last mark by the 'E'. At first I did this accidently, but now I love it. I know exactly how much gas I have left....

Mine always did read as you described. And at full it's always half an inch past full (large fuel guage/ idiot lt cluster). What really sucks about mine is how it can run out anywhere between 1/4" before and 1/4" past E.

My mom taught me it is just as easy to fill up the top half of the tank as it is the bottom half. :jester:

Back