• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 XJ Overheating at Speed

CO99XJ said:
Thanks RichP.....looks like I'm going to be in the market for a new radiator. I know it's a lot to ask but can someone give me a step by step on replacing the radiator? I'm a little uncomfortable with how to drain the coolant. Also are there any special tools that I'll need. I have a basic set but nothing extensive. My email address is [email protected]. Thanks all!

I just did my '00 for the first time (I know!! I know!!) a couple of months
ago. The drain pet**** is a B*itch to find... it's behind the passener-side
headlight housing, and you basically need to remove the headlight rings, grille, and right turn signal to get at it.

Then mine wouldn't drain anyways! I ended up just popping the lower hose
off the the radiator to drain it.

Den

Thanks DenLip...I actually found that damn thing yesterday. Did you have any issues with the Transmission lines? It looks like there is a metal piece crimped to the hose on mine.

There was one more thing, you mentioned that you changed the serpentine belt, quick question, how did you retension it ?? Some kind of 'twist the belt' thing or 'push it down' thing ??
The only way to retension those serp belts is with a belt tension gauge, that could be causing the high speed problem as resistance goes up in the water pump the belt slips. NAPA carries a tension gauge for about $15 called a Krikit II. well worth the couple bucks....about the size of a large pen and comes with pocket clip.

Thanks RichP....I haven't messed with the serpentine belt. I'm thinking about trying and changing it but I want to tackle the radiator first. Thanks again, Ryan.

Ok...I think I'm ready to change the radiator but I have a few more questions. I work on computers for a living so the mechanical stuff is kind of foreign. I bought the quick disconnect tools for the transmission lines but I'm concerned about were they connect to the actual radiator. What do I use to remove the lines? Is there a gasket that needs to be replaced or any plastic pieces I could accidentally break? I was able to find a 2000 FSM so I'm using the instructions in there. The only special tool the reference is the one for the constant tension clamps.

QDs are a pain in the butt, but you don't need any special tool to remove them. Use the red nozzle extension with a can of WD40 to clean out the QD clips. Once you squeeze the tabs the male portion of the tube will come out although it may be tight. If there's any gunk in there it will prevent the tabs from unlocking fully. Replacement Qds are available at the dealer if you screw it up.

Back