• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 XJ -4.6

Yeah, that's the biggest down side to it. It will pass, i have no doubt about that. I was going to use what i make off of this as a down payment for a newer Jeep but after i heard how far upside down i am with my Mazda 3, i kinda don't want to pay $400/mo for an 05 wrangler so I'll keep it. It' paid for.

What I think he is trying to say is that you CL ad made it sound that the price you wanted to sell you rig was either the cost of or a partial payment of your medical bill.

So now it death wobbles, and needs a new computer......

... and by law the seller has to smog it too. With a bad computer it won't.

:laugh3:

From the California DMV site:

When a car is sold, who is responsible for the inspection?

The seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer. Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.

The inspection is not required on a transfer if a biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).

NOTE: Smog certifications are not required for transfers that occur for a gasoline powered motor vehicle that is four or less model years old. (Determine the oldest-qualifying year model by subtracting three from the current year) the four or less model years old rule does not apply to diesel powered vehicles. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner.

he can sell the XJ As-Is, and he doesn't have to smog it

When a car is sold, who is responsible for the inspection?

The seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer. Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.
Source https://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

45370985.jpg

the only way to get around smogging it that i'm aware of is non-opping it before sale. Even then, i'm not sure. If it doesn't pass when they try to smog it, they can come after you for all repair costs, and that can be way more than the car's worth. It's very easy, basically they just need to go to small claims and they win, no questions asked.

he can sell the XJ As-Is, and he doesn't have to smog it

No, you can't. You can sell it as parts only.

Seller is ALWAYS responsible.

Someone could buy it "as is" pay a shop to fix it enough to pass smog then sue the seller. And he would win. It's happened.

Much easier and smarter to just smog it.

Damn, you guys are quick. lol didn't realize another page was there.

Back