• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 Cherokee Country DD/WW build (infancy)

Where did you get those chrome handles at?

the chrome handles , bumpers, and grill came with it. I think the chrome came with the country package, but i'm not sure
I really like the chrome though :) i want to build tube bumpers but chromed tube bumpers would look kind of weird so I don't think I would chrome them if i ever made some

the chrome handles , bumpers, and grill came with it. I think the chrome came with the country package, but i'm not sure
I really like the chrome though :) i want to build tube bumpers but chromed tube bumpers would look kind of weird so I don't think I would chrome them if i ever made some

Glad to see someone who doesn't feel compelled to trash all their chrome. I love it too. Looks good, bud!

The gearing isn't too bad, with the 3.55's. kicks into 4th right around 45-46(well what my speedo says) when before it kicked in at about 42-43]
Are you sure it's 4th gear and not the torque converter locking up? I've been on 31"s for awhile with 3.55 and I don't a rurally hit 4th until maybe 50 ish mph. After 40mph my TQ will engage and drop a couple Rpms

well im not a damn near sure what you mean about your tcase engaging or the torque converter locking up but yes its 4th gear because at around 44mph its at about 2k rpms then when it shifts its about 1250 rpm and it feels the same as the other 2 shifts...

And i just removed my front driveshaft to measure and see if i can fit it in the rear after my sye... my dad just did the sye on his yj and its the same exact kit from rugged ridge so i used the measurement from the base of the nose cone to the middle of the yoke and its 7 inches. then i measured 7 inches starting at the base of MY nose cone to the end of the other yoke on the dana 35 and the front shaft would it only have .5 inch left of slip in the slipjoint at ride height and that isn't going to cut it . I'm going to have to get it lengthened lets say 2 inches? I'll do some research.
I saw this coming though because most people who say oh yeah a front ds will go right in well that's because they have a chryco 8.25 and the housing is longer than the d35 housing.
Anyways, I'm going to get the exact amount i need added and get quotes from local shops. Hopefully this can be less than $100 I mean it seems real simple to me.

Bought some Hella Optilux 2020 half fog half driving lights 55w . Pretty small but they do what they need to do! had to cut some out of the grille and front assembly that hurt a bit but no big deal.
Pain in the ass trying to get the wires through the plug in the firewall. just stuffed all extraneous wires into corners haha.
2014-04-04_15-37-36_457_zpsukdkslza.jpg
Let me know what you think :)

I HAVE A QUESTION. My TRE at the pitman arm is wearing from the extreme angle and causing slight wobble and veering on hard braking. SHOULD I get a heim joint end OR since I have an adjustable track bar should I get a track bar mount that lowers it from the frame side, coupled with a drop pitman arm and a regular tre? to flatten all the angles a bit? of course trying to keep the drag link and track bar parallel

also, Keep an eye on the lower control arm bolts in the bracket... Mine would move..

Between those bolts, and the self tappers.. I eventually welded everything together..

Personally I'd look into some 1 ton steering upgrades sevral companies that advertise on here sell them. Or run a full heim setup with some 1/4 wall dom so it don't bend when you do go offroad. The 1 ton kits are bolt in stock replacements though with minimal diy experience needed.

Do a search online to about cutting the front fender teeth off a cutoff wheel and some rubber molding go a long way. You could lower it a tad to if you trim a little on the fenders then a sye can be avoided. With proper trimming on the front and rear fenders you can do 31's with just about no lift.

But your setup is pretty clean so just depends on what your future plans are for it.

Last edited:
Personally I'd look into some 1 ton steering upgrades sevral companies that advertise on here sell them. Or run a full heim setup with some 1/4 wall dom so it don't bend when you do go offroad. The 1 ton kits are bolt in stock replacements though with minimal diy experience needed.

Do a search online to about cutting the front fender teeth off a cutoff wheel and some rubber molding go a long way. You could lower it a tad to if you trim a little on the fenders then a sye can be avoided. With proper trimming on the front and rear fenders you can do 31's with just about no lift.

But your setup is pretty clean so just depends on what your future plans are for it.

Thanks for all the advice. I will look into some new steering setups. in the far future I plan to buy a ford 8.8 with discs and put in 4.88's in both axles as well a locker at least in the rear, and run 35's with trim. If I can't get away with 35's ill do 33's with 4.56's but for sure before doing any other suspension/tire/gear/axle work i want to get a nice rear axle to swap in. I do not offroad often as there isn't shit around here but I don't want to be stranded when I dedicate more time into driving to good spots.

Here is a nice steering setup i saw that I would like to do:
steering2_zps7c2a9e0f.jpg

Chopped the "fang" and braces beneath it. I like it but not sure on whether to chop the sides off the bumper to match or just wait to make a bumper and sell the old one for decent $

BEFORE
0714141402_zpszdszckmh.jpg

DURING
0714141530_zpssmu3bfro.jpg

RESULT
0714141512_zpsp4h3ylsg.jpg

The horn went back in just stuffed up in there.

Thanks for all the advice. I will look into some new steering setups. in the far future I plan to buy a ford 8.8 with discs and put in 4.88's in both axles as well a locker at least in the rear, and run 35's with trim. If I can't get away with 35's ill do 33's with 4.56's but for sure before doing any other suspension/tire/gear/axle work i want to get a nice rear axle to swap in. I do not offroad often as there isn't shit around here but I don't want to be stranded when I dedicate more time into driving to good spots.

Here is a nice steering setup i saw that I would like to do:
steering2_zps7c2a9e0f.jpg

That steering setup looks like it would have some serious bumpsteer

Practicing my mig, i know nothing about welding just to grind the metal then do a slow "e" pattern... but I'm taking a course in the fall and I will fab some things up for the jeep. This is the best I can do for now :
Untitled_zps0cdf1ba4.png

Installed H.D. Offroad no lift shackle relocation brackets. Fantastic! although the stock shackles dont work at all with them and I ended up retro fitting GM lowering shackles from auto zone part 13-4100 to get the right angle and a slight lift.
Rear axle droop is incredible I need about 5-6 inch longer shocks to make the most of it.
hdbracketsgmshackles_zps29e0d205.jpg

Here's a nice poser shot
srgdfgreg_zps39ba2a3f.jpg

Back