• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Pioneer OVERHEATING?? CLOSED COOLING SYSTEM!

I did "Burp" the cooling system. I should just replace the radiator and pump at this point, your right, it is 21 years old. It couldn't hurt either way. When it overheats, the upper radiator hose is rock hard, shouldn't I be able to squeeze it even a little bit? Thanks again.

I did "Burp" the cooling system. I should just replace the radiator and pump at this point, your right, it is 21 years old. It couldn't hurt either way. When it overheats, the upper radiator hose is rock hard, shouldn't I be able to squeeze it even a little bit? Thanks again.

Wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Keep you from ruining a motor.

I checked the thermostat in boiling water, it is opening and closing properly. I think Its narrowed down to the radiator being clogged or the water pump not operating, or potentially both! I think I will replace the radiator, water pump and clutch fan.. Not to expensive to replace all.

I checked the thermostat in boiling water, it is opening and closing properly. I think Its narrowed down to the radiator being clogged or the water pump not operating, or potentially both! I think I will replace the radiator, water pump and clutch fan.. Not to expensive to replace all.

Excelletn plan. Run your water hose through the block while you're at it.

Did you replace the hoses going to the bottle? If you did, you may have them on upside down. When it is running the water goes thru the upper side and then goes out the bottom. I did this and i couldn't for the life of me see it.LOL.I bypassed my heater core years ago so i am running the same size hoses now.
The bottle has to be atleast 1/2 to 3/4 full or it will suck air. With no heater core, burping is so much easier.
I didn't read the hole thread.sorry if this was already said

Had an overheating problem with my MJ. Around town it was fine, on the highway it heated up. Problem was rotten fins betwen the tubes in the radiator. New radiator solved it. Tubes were good, fins were rotted.

I couldn't see the trouble because the A/C condensor hid it. On the engine side, the fans and shroud hid it. A good, close inspection of the radiator revealed the rotten fins.

After the years that you mention, a radiator and pump replacement seem a reasonable maintenance cost.

UPDATE! Hello all. I finally fixed the overheating issue!! Thank god. Here is what I did in this order......I installed a new thermostat, thermostat housing, I ran a toggle switch switch in the cab in order to control the aux fan because the radiator is not equipped with a threaded port for a temp switch, Coolant reservoir and cap, water pump , OEM Clutch fan shroud, Upper and Lower radiator hoses, At this point it would still overheat only after about 10 minutes of highway speeds-basically the same problem I began with 3 months ago when I purchased it. Last but not least, I installed an all metal heat buster two row radiator from Advanced Auto with the temperature switch installed as well to cycle the aux fan on and off on its own (No more toggle switch). BINGO! I ran it for over an hour in 95 + degree weather at highway speeds at an incline towards the mountains and it ran one click below 210 the whole time!! It has never ran this good before. What a relief, thank you all for the advice and tips along the way!

I had been considering the heatbuster. I think you just pushed me to try it. What did you end up paying if you don't mind me asking. I know there is often coupon codes etc.

I got a great deal on it! I told the local Advanced auto that I could get it online for a good price, I asked if they would match that price. They said they cant match online prices, the salesman gave me 20% off of the radiator and ordered it in. I paid $165.00 with tax. He also gave me 20% off of the temperature switch also. Hell of a deal. Advanced auto sells that radiator cheaper than any one else that I could find. O'Reilly wanted over $200 for it.

Back