• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 MJ. 1100-1700RPM hesitation

Three times I had something similar. First time it was my ballast resistor, it would randomly crap out at freeway speeds. Second time it was my O2 sensor, it only seemed to happen on a warm motor (above 140-160 F.) and was worst at around 2200-2400 RPM and then it would crap out again at around 3500 Rpm, it wouldn't rev anywhere near redline. The third time it was my CPS, I'd drive my son to work every morning and it would crap out (sputter, buck and almost die) within 50 meter of the same intersection most mornings. The motor would hit a certain temperature and the CPS would act up.

Most times a fuel issue will get worse as you go faster, the fuel starvation is progressive as the fuel requirement increases. The exception is a sensor related fuel issue, the ECU gets a crappy set of sensor inputs and chooses the wrong pulse duration for the injectors. Electrical issues (connectors, splices etc.) in the 12 volt system can also be sporadic and kind of random.

Have you checked the vacuum tube for the MAP yet? It can rub through on the bottom, I gently run my finger down the bottom of the tube and check for worn spots, tiny cracks and possible pin hole leaks. You may have damaged it when you did your booster, that vacuum tubing gets old and brittle. Depending on the size of the leak it may act up only during certain vacuum conditions. When my MAP vacuum tube rubbed through (tiny hole) on some wiring, the motor would try to stall/miss/buck when I slowed for a corner, it acted a lot like a leaky EGR piston that wasn't seating completely.

This is so odd to me. I did check the vacuum line to the MAP, sure enough the bottom of the boot was leaking a little. That explains the brake clean check not showing any results, however that doesn't make sense to me mechanically. How can this not have affected idle or free rev? I apparently mistook the slight noise I heard at idle and free rev; for the throttle body just sucking air as it should. It seems to run okay now. It still doesn't feel as nice and free as my '88 xj does while driving. Could have a lot to do with gearing though. I'm gonna just slowly update everything on this truck. This post has really broadened my horizons on just updates for these old Renix's. I'm starting to develop a love for them, even after being a hardcore HO guy for so long. hahaha. Thanks again y'all!:patriot:

This is so odd to me. I did check the vacuum line to the MAP, sure enough the bottom of the boot was leaking a little. That explains the brake clean check not showing any results, however that doesn't make sense to me mechanically. How can this not have affected idle or free rev? I apparently mistook the slight noise I heard at idle and free rev; for the throttle body just sucking air as it should. It seems to run okay now. It still doesn't feel as nice and free as my '88 xj does while driving. Could have a lot to do with gearing though. I'm gonna just slowly update everything on this truck. This post has really broadened my horizons on just updates for these old Renix's. I'm starting to develop a love for them, even after being a hardcore HO guy for so long. hahaha. Thanks again y'all!:patriot:

Welcome to the Renix side....It's a lovely place....

Cool that you found something.

Back