• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 Renix CA Smog Fail

88TrailCrawler/DJ,

Besides getting your jeep cooling under control, it seems your smog worries were all due to the defective o2 sensor.

Im going to end up replacing that , and probably the cooling trio. Sensor (as my a/f ratio could be messed up), sender(my gauge only reads past the 110 degree tick), switch (never seen the e-fan come on). My pioneer did not come with air conditioning :(

Now that i think about it, might as well change out the thermostat and drain/refill coolant. The housing on the outside is all rusted, but as long as its fine on the inside i'll keep it. Maybe do sparkplugs too.

I want to take my XJ out one of these days, probably just to joshua tree or something.
Once i am sure it is cooling to proper temp and getting proper a/f ratio, im gonna do it.

Definitely swap the Oxy sensor. Consider running a tank of premium with some acetone.

Yep, I'd go with a little acetone in the tank too, if you're not sure. I've added about a cup in a half tank. The "Guaranteed to Pass" or G2P will refund the price of the can...about $8.00 and the instructions say to add it to a full tank, use the tank up, then fill it up again...then go smoggin'...sounds expensive. Acetone will cost about $9.00 a quart.

I can't emphasize enough the importance of getting the engine up to temp before going in...and a new gas cap.

So, did they just fail you on emissions alone? Do you have an aftermarket intake? Any intake, vacuum or header modifications?

The good part (if that's even possible) about CA smog is that it tends to force you to get your engine running clean and better at least every two years. There is no DOT "inspection". So if your e-brake, horn or reverse light is busted you still pass.

Yep, I'd go with a little acetone in the tank too, if you're not sure. I've added about a cup in a half tank. The "Guaranteed to Pass" or G2P will refund the price of the can...about $8.00 and the instructions say to add it to a full tank, use the tank up, then fill it up again...then go smoggin'...sounds expensive. Acetone will cost about $9.00 a quart.

I can't emphasize enough the importance of getting the engine up to temp before going in...and a new gas cap.

So, did they just fail you on emissions alone? Do you have an aftermarket intake? Any intake, vacuum or header modifications?

The good part (if that's even possible) about CA smog is that it tends to force you to get your engine running clean and better at least every two years. There is no DOT "inspection". So if your e-brake, horn or reverse light is busted you still pass.

Comprehensive visual inspection and functional tests passed. Jeep has no mods. I will be procuring parts soon, im itching to get it out on the road!

Search and learn how to TEST the O2 sensor before just throwing a new one at it. Turned out my previously replaced O2 sensor that I saved for a spare tested good and the newer installed one tested bad.

You could probably throw an O2 sensor and a cat in and run some tricks to get it to pass. But you'll be struggling again in two years. If it's running rich - it'll run awesome but you'll burn out your new cat.

Get all the systems dialed in (cooling, vac lines, exhaust, EGR, etc). You'll be happy in the long run.

Read through and do all cruisers renix tips one by one.

Search and learn how to TEST the O2 sensor before just throwing a new one at it. Turned out my previously replaced O2 sensor that I saved for a spare tested good and the newer installed one tested bad.

You could probably throw an O2 sensor and a cat in and run some tricks to get it to pass. But you'll be struggling again in two years. If it's running rich - it'll run awesome but you'll burn out your new cat.

Get all the systems dialed in (cooling, vac lines, exhaust, EGR, etc). You'll be happy in the long run.

Read through and do all cruisers renix tips one by one.

Yep. Tips 1 through 5 are the highest priorities. 27 is great also.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1115935

Back