• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 jeep cherokee tcase swap

Captainhswh

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1987 cherokee cheif with an a/t it came with the np242 and the guy i got it from swaped it with a np231 out of a 91. my 4x4 dont work and i was wondering if i could put a np242 out of a 91 in it? i also have the dana 35 in the rear now instead of the dana 44 it came with

Sorry different spline count. 90 is the last year for the 21 splinr 242 which is what you need. Too bad you are not closer as I have 2 of the 21 splined 242 transfercases and a couple of 231s as well.

X2 different spline count.. Maybe check around at your local savage yards for one.

Good Luck

Nick

Could your problem be in your front axle?

I didn't think the 242 transfer cases came with the disco front axles. Since they were inteneded as AWD set ups.

I didn't think the 242 transfer cases came with the disco front axles. Since they were inteneded as AWD set ups.

Right, not what I meant--could your front axle be broken? When the PO changed the TC, did he change the front axle? Have you tried adjusting the linkage? Did the PO change the shiftgate when he changed the TC?

Questions, questions, questions.

well he said he only changed the rear diff and everything ive found says that the front diff for the 242 was still the dana 35. and he changed the rear diff from a 44 to a 35.also i found out that tcase was from a 90

You should have a Dana 30 up front. Whats it do when you engage the TC? Weird noises or anything like that?

Back