• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1985 xj upgrades

Im not really sure what gears cause i've never had the 2.8, your better off asking that in another thread...
And for a daily driver, you'd lose a looottt of tourque and speed with 33's, hell i lost a lot with my 4.0,
but 31's should be fine for it, until you re-gear

Mothertrucker said:
i got an 1985 xj 2 dr 2.8 and i wanna use it as a DD but make it mud ready any suggestions/upgrades/parts thanks

Lift?

get yourself a 87+ 4.0 model. -> learn your vehicle -> learn how to drive it -> then worry about looking cool.

unless of course you're the kind of guy that wants to get stuck with a poorly built up (f-150 coils) 4WD, and get laughed at.

:))

I'm glad to see this 3 pages and no ones flamed or screamed SEARCH good info guys i applaud.

he wants to do "muddin", not a whole lot of info on that. Most of the posts here are about lifting for the purpose of rock crawling. He doesnt need rock rails, or aftermarket bumpers or a la kit. Yes im sure there is the exact info he needs but how many posts about lifting for rockcrawling does he need to search through when 2 min of someones time will save him hours. figured we'd give him a break, he'll come around one of these days.

Last edited:
ight so a lift and tires is all i need and it doesnt even need to come close to looking good or being cool just needs to do its job thick mud no rocks or moutian runs

p.s. florida's flat we have mud

Depending on what size tires you want to run a 4.5" kit will do you just fine. Its plenty tall enough for 33's with some trimming and most of the time doesnt require an sye with idk if you could even get one for the tcase thats mated to that 2.8(np229,idk?). With a 4.5" kit your minimum requirements on parts to make it road worthy would be 4.5" coils or 2.5" coils with 2" spacers, since its for mud flex wont matter. Id still recommend some 4.5" leaf packs for 3" packs with a 1.5" shackles. Some shocks for a 4.5" kit, sway bar drop brackets or longer sway bar end links for the front(ditch the rear sway bar). Some longer brake lines or brake line drop kits and some yj ebrake cables. Depending on whether you want a floater(33x12.5 or 33x14.0 tire) or a sink and grab(33x10.5), assuming youd want boggers of course. But then you have to look at your axles, even in the mud a d35 wont hold up to a bogger more or less some 31" all terrain's. Id also recommend a new longer trac bar for on-road driveability. If you are wanting a wider tire than a 10.5 you will need a wider rim and more backspacing(so yo dont rub the control arms when your turn) as well. Thats all i can think of for now.

Back