• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1985 4 banger wiring and under the hood pictures

Reaching close to 100 F at 75% humidity here I suspect.

There was a hot all the time line in the wiring layouts to an anti-diesel timer that operated after the engine turned off on a timer. I disconnected the two that where humming, but found another load on the running lights with ignition switch off and head lights off. WE had the dash pulled apart 4 months ago and ran some fresh wires through the dash then. If it was a time delay headlight deal, why are just the running lights on? Hmm, I do have an aftermarket harness running the head lights only. I wonder if that could be it? i.e. could be a head light delay timer issue? Never had an issue with it before, and the headlight switch power is a new line, hot all the time for 8 years, by passes the ignition switch

Update,.

Before, I had it down to one wire at the battery :clap: and it was turning on the running lights and two relays (obsolete relays I disconnected since) and I tried removing the head light switch thinking it might be bad again. No joy, removing the head light switch only stopped the running lights from coming on with ignition switch off, but I still had a power draw on that wire at the battery with the head light switch pulled.

Now I am really puzzled.

I am thinking cloaked Jeep-Gremlins but my decloaking device is out of service.

This a plane Jane jeep, no fancy electrics, door locks, windows, etc are all manual.

We did splice in a new head light switch connector about 6 months ago, not by me, a friend did it, and it had no issues that I recall since then, but I am looking for a photo/drawing of the wires-connector for an 85, 4 banger to see if he got anything wrong.

I can hear the spark when I touch the wire to the battery + post, but we can not hear or see anything turning on.

Fused link, have you checked that?

Check them for what? I have power, the problem is a power draw draining the battery over night with the ignition switch on.

All the fuse links on this 85 beast have been long gone since before I bought it about 14 years ago.

I have isolated the wire from the harness at the battery that has the parasitic draw. I would just kill it for good if I could, but it also supplies power to the running lights, and I think the brake lights. The problem is to find what other items on that power get power from that wire on a wiring diagram, but so far I have yet to find a diagram that matches my bare bones rig with the right lay out for a 2.5 gas manual tranny rig. I think it had a carburetor, no injection O2 sensor computer stuff, just a massive mess of the old vacuum lines and valves nightmare for the carburetors, so the wiring is not one injectors, or a throttle body injector or computer, I THINK!!!

Did you get a chance to mail me that manual? Have not seen it yet. Thanks!!

Mike, I found that manual for you and will see if I can get it in the mail to you. It is in pretty rough condition, I used it for a back stop drilling some small holes.

That year did in fact have a Carter YFA carb. It sucked. It actually had a computer controlled jet. The biggest failure mode was the electric choke. The ground contacts would corrode and the choke would not heat up causing it to open, so you ran way too rich all the time.

I got pissed on mine and ripped the carb off and hit the junk yard for the throttle body injection and computer. It made a world of difference in the power and just how well it ran.

Check them for what? I have power, the problem is a power draw draining the battery over night with the ignition switch on.

All the fuse links on this 85 beast have been long gone since before I bought it about 14 years ago.

I have isolated the wire from the harness at the battery that has the parasitic draw. I would just kill it for good if I could, but it also supplies power to the running lights, and I think the brake lights. The problem is to find what other items on that power get power from that wire on a wiring diagram, but so far I have yet to find a diagram that matches my bare bones rig with the right lay out for a 2.5 gas manual tranny rig. I think it had a carburetor, no injection O2 sensor computer stuff, just a massive mess of the old vacuum lines and valves nightmare for the carburetors, so the wiring is not one injectors, or a throttle body injector or computer, I THINK!!!

I'm sorry, I confused threads.

Ok in the 86 book there is a section in the wagoneer headlight part of it, it has I4 on it. There is a engine light, it goes from the main line in to the light then to the fuse block. The v6 version continues to the light switch, I think it says the I4 goes to the fuse block instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
f99a99182b285ae6d0bf7cc3a57d9b42.jpg

Ok the 84 book has a different look at the light switch for the warnings, like head lights on. I'm not sure much is there except it run through the fuse box in to a solid state (something) I guess that buzzy box on the side of the fuse box.
which connects to the headlight switch for lights on indicator.

e14203deced0952ddbe5fd85313ac6f4.jpg
13c2ae81b50cb749083253b892dda794.jpg

(84 book) The exterior light show again the only line that come from the battery goes to the headlight switch, fog light relays, and engine light.
Everything else should go through the fuse box first.
2dd39789de5dbe8712939b081f3bfa1d.jpg

Now this has to be the carbureted I4 , it third page next to the main I4 which definitely has the computer, this look more like my v6 with no computer and carb.
I think I sent it you but maybe not. Let me know ill get a better pic.
This is all one page taken top left to right, bottom left to right.
I can't remember what the hell the EFE heater was. But this looks similar the the carb v6, maybe it'll help.
If you need a better pic if I haven't sent it to you already just let me know.

6cd5ae69c33c0590594782d2cd39cdc2.jpg
8336478339f08d166932e64140e569f0.jpg
39504ae1918f56ad997b55d7914a61a6.jpg
1be95dc71a15de7c2f1a81ebc1ded24c.jpg

I just completed an hours worth of tests, and it seems that the short or battery drain load is on the replaced power supply wire with a 25 amp inline fuse that feeds mainly the A/C blower motor and what ever else is on that line, like I think (not sure yet) the AC clutch. I have the main AC blower power completely rerouted already anyway, but not the power to A/C blower relay control I added under the hood or the A/C clutch so it looks like another trip into dash, but I have still have yet to figure out what the relay, #1 of three from the rear side, in the front passenger side near the battery under the hood was for and why it and a vacuum valve on the passenger side started working suddenly weeks ago with the ignition off that were also draining the battery. The anti diesel timer on the old drawings seemed to be hot all the time, but I have yet to find it, all I found I think were the two devices it turns on which are now disconnected?

It is not on any of the remaining fuse box fuses, we pulled them all and the load was still there, so the load is on the old 25 amp AC blower power line. I wonder if that is one that I bypassed the ignition switch on 12 years ago to keep from burning up the ignition switches with that damn brown wire.....

Thanks Green Mesa, the prior images had too low a resolution to read when enlarged. These new ones are great.

Back