• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$1600 Budget!

94XJ2door5speed said:
Mechanical is sound save the cracked manifold but a header was on my to do list. I think it is wierd but someone with more experience correct me here. I drained my oil on my 199,388 mile 4.0 and it was still clean. Let me correct this. I bought it with 193,000 mi. I didn't know how it was treaded previosly so i put a junk filter and oil in it for 2 tanks of gas, then changed it with a good filter and good, non synthetic oil. I am a mobil 1, royal purple kinda guy on everything but the age made me stray from my norm. I bought what was on sale, Castrol GTX. I had never ran this but after 4,500mi in the dirt, mud, rocks, highway, etc... visiting the rev limiter frequently off-roading, it looked like new oil and it had not burned any at all nor was it black or discolored in anyway!! for real it was exactly the same as when i poured it in. So is this normal? this leads me to believe that the rings are very very good so i might back it down a bit in the rpm's department before i wreck it.

What do you mean by "junk" filter? It sounds like if the oil is fine then the engine is very healthy for that kind of mileage.

xj2win said:
What do you mean by "junk" filter? It sounds like if the oil is fine then the engine is very healthy for that kind of mileage.
Probably Fram :laugh:
The 4.0 is a GREAT motor, and it sounds like yours has been taken care of.....or maybe it's been swapped sometime in it's life :dunno:

Another option for a cheap yet functional lift, would be to piece it together. You can do bastard packs in back and save a lot of coin while keeping ride/performance. If you take your time building the packs, they can ride very well and last a long time. It's also a good idea to add a longer shackle, even if it's just from a MJ.

Take a look at the parts list for a RE 3.5" or 4.5" kit, then find a cheaper alternative for each part. For example, you can use YJ brake lines, hockey pucks for bump stops, some seem to like the t-bird coils, etc...etc...

As mentioned, you definitely want to get recovery points and armor first though...at least if you plan to keep it!

So i will stick to a 3 inch lift for now i could almays add on at a later time. I do love to wheel this jeep but unfortunatley it only sees the dirt about 5% of the time so my dream 6" long arm is a bit overkill for now. I will probably make due with the 3" and if i do the whole bastard pack and what not i can add lockers! I would go anywhere around here with good armor, lockers, and 31's.

Here is what I'd do...

RC 3" Full Spring Pack Lift - $450
4 Cragar v5 Black Steel Wheels - $172.95 shipped (from Quadratec)
31x10.50x15 M/T's - ~$600

That leaves you about $350. First I'd buy a t-case skid (I've got a good one if you're interested...custom made out of 3/16" steel...probably sell it for $60...let me know), then either get a simple aftermarket bumper with a receiver and tow points or go rock slides if you have front tow-hooks.

That's just what I'd do!

So how does it run with those 3.93's and stock tires? I know one mfg that makes 3.90s. What kind of diffs are in there?

gradon said:
So how does it run with those 3.93's and stock tires? I know one mfg that makes 3.90s. What kind of diffs are in there?

Hey don't kill me it is just what is written on the ring gear and the main caps. I didn't do it i just noticed that BOTH not just the rear but BOTH front and rear say it.

He ain't killin ya, different axles have different counts.. Some come in 4:88, some in 4:56.. still the same gearing, just a hair different.. as long as its in .05 of each other its the same gearing.

I've been all over PA, live south of Pittsburgh now, I thought I could recognize those parking lots but I can't! Where you located 94 2 Door? I'm down in Washington, offer a set of hands when you get things rolling.

pipes94xj said:
I've been all over PA, live south of Pittsburgh now, I thought I could recognize those parking lots but I can't! Where you located 94 2 Door? I'm down in Washington, offer a set of hands when you get things rolling.

That would be the Indiana mall, i'm boarding here but attending school in Blairsville. Hey where are some good local places to wheel here? I have one spot but its not all that hard at all just a few good hill climbs for a stock jeep. Kinda bored with it.

Last edited:
pull the sway bars or make some disconnects for he front and ditch the rear
some chewy 30-31 inch tires trim and more power or traction aids and skid plates. Done, go bigger later. Get the important things first because bigger tires need more power, you can drag yourself over obstacle with traction, traction comes from tires and traction aids e.g. lockers or posi

Back