• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

10/22 sight, scope advice

LYKOS

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 10/22 that I've mainly used for plinking over the years.

I am now having some serious raccoon issues and I see this as the perfect excuse to upgrade the old Ruger.

So, for night shooting varmints (legal on my own property, no nearby neighbors. It's all well and legal I assure you) what would you recommend?

I've looked at holographic sights, lasers and regular scopes.

What I'm thinking is either mounting a flashlight and using the iron sights or using a laser. Or a combination of either with a scope.

Longest distance would be about 50 yards.

Not looking to spend $700 on an Aimpoint either...

Thoughts?

my thoughts

1. a holo sight is only good if there's enough ambient light to see the animal, if there's that much light iron sights would probably work anyway.

2. laser is good as in if it's sighted in, you can shoot from the hip, but you still need to see the animal in the darkness, but you have both eyes focusing together (slightly off target) so it makes it a bit easier

3. if you're setting up shop to remove as bunch of these in a certain area, grab a good spot light, use your normal sights and go to town.

I've shot rifles with NVG's, flash lights and lasers (IR and normal beam) without a doubt laser w/NVG is shit simple... but $$.
I don't like flash lights as you lose your night vision (unless you remember to shut one eye each time, sorry ex-military, old habit)... but considering the situation I'd would choose a spot light and whatever your used to looking through.
Cheap, easy and depending on the animal gives you a few seconds of "freeze sucka!"

Get you a nice scope specifically designed for rimfire guns. Do everything you can to accurize the gun too. Mine has a floated bull barrel and a Bushnelll Banner 3-9x40 scope. Its devastating at 50 yards. For anything past that i will pull out the .17hmr. I recommend a nice light from stream light or surefire. Streamlight has some very reasonable prices on some great lights.

Last edited:
Get you a nice scope specifically designed for rimfire guns. Do everything you can to accurize the gun too. Mine has a floated bull barrel and a Bushnelll Banner 3-9x40 scope. Its devastating at 50 yards. For anything past that i will pull out the .17hmr. I recommend a nice light from stream light or surefire. Streamlight has some very reasonable prices on some great lights.

are 10/22's really so bad out of the box that you have to do all that to kill things @ 50 yards?

I will second the bushnell scope though. I use one with an illuminated reticle for my pest eradication duties.
I can see the shape of the animal and it's shadow, but that dark shadow it casts on it's own body from the streetlamp makes the black reticle just *poof*

are 10/22's really so bad out of the box that you have to do all that to kill things @ 50 yards?

nope, but they ARE addicting :)

nope, but they ARE addicting :)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This!!!!!

I don't have street lamps where I live. Hell, sunshine is piped in.

Spotlighting the coons is what I've been doing, but it's cumbersome holding a light and a rifle.

I may just go with an Aimpoint knock off from ebay and a flashlight mount. Something with a button by the trigger. I'm realizing that anything short of Night Vision is going to be lacking.

Although, this is my SHTF gun...

If I hadn't just put that Tikka T3 30/06 on layaway I could justify a real Aimpoint right?

And yeah, I was military too. And for whatever reason I can't remember using anything but open sights. Of course, that was 1989...

I don't have a lot of luck with lighted sights at night. The reticle on my dot scope doesn't dim enough to keep from washing out the target(10mil dot, PDP-3)at night. Same problem with illuminated reticles on scopes. I have one illuminated reticle scope,and won't bother to get another. There are uses for them, but night use is not one of them. Very limited use in my opinion.

If you're thinking scopes, a 1x4, 2x7, or fixed 4x are all pretty good choices for a 22. I have a Bushnell 1.5x4.5 on a .22 that is wicked fast pickup on the low setting(FOV is so wide at the low end, I can see the barrel in the bottom of the scope) I've also got a fixed 4x with a 40mm objective lens on a .22mag. It works really well in low light.(All other things equal, larger objective lens will gather more light.)

If you're going to mount a light, try getting a red lens cover. That way it won't totally blow out your night vision.

I don't know about playing the accuracy game with a .22. I usually just try a bunch of different ammo makes and find the one the gun likes best, then stick with that.

If you're going to mount a light, try getting a red lens cover. That way it won't totally blow out your night vision.
That makes a LOT of sense. Thanks !

lots of guys seem to like the vortex stuff for red dots.

not super cheap, but not aimpoint money either.

On my buddies property we use the camping.headlights. You can get em with the red or green led lights. offer enough light to get the eyes really well and within 20yards can see the critters. then whatever gun/optic is all good.
run a variable 3-9 on our 10/22 and works great.

I've got a variable 3-9 BSA "sweet22" scope on mine... thing is SWEEEET from 25 up to 175, it has the adjustable turrets for different grain rounds and distances. I put a plinking target out at 150 and broke it in a day from hitting it so much with cci comp rounds.

I play with the hammer forged bull barrel and laminate stock flavor 10/22, wouldn't get rid of it for anything

Back