• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

09' Grand Cherokee 4.7 for a occasional tow rig?

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My wife and I are looking at a new 09' GC or Commander (4.7) for a family travel vehicle and occasional tow vehicle (trail rig XJ at around 4200 and the trailer). My local dealer recommends the 4.7 over the 5.7 due to better mileage, none of the "trailer hitching" when the 5.7 goes from 4 to 8 cyl, and the towing capacity is only slightly less. The service manager says the 4.7 has a better track record for durability. There is little difference in price between the 2 vehicles and engine options. Of course we will be getting a lifetime warranty so I'm not worried about the engine as much as I am the fuel cost over the next 12 years (Thats how long we keep a family car)

Does anyone have experience towing a XJ with the 4.7 or should I go with the 5.7.

Interior room is really the only consideration for the Commander, I prefer the GC in looks.

Give me your $.02

the 4.7 will do the trick. But if i was buying a jeep to possibly tow another jeep, i would go with the commander and the 5.7! that would be a much better rig to tow another vehicle with!

the 4.7 will do the trick. But if i was buying a jeep to possibly tow another jeep, i would go with the commander and the 5.7! that would be a much better rig to tow another vehicle with!

I agree, I have a friend that tows a old Dodge Power Wagon with his and even here in the steep Blue ridge Mtns it does very good. But i will only tow the XJ maybe 5 times a year. Im not sure the extra fuel cost over the 12 years I will own the vehicle would be worth the extra comfort while towing a few times.

This is a tougher decision than i thought it would be!

I would be more worried about towing with the GC and its shorter wheelbase...

I was always told its not a good idea to tow something like another vehicle with a GC.

I have towed small trailers, but always was kinda nervous when thinking about pulling something heavy in-case I had to stop fast.

I would probably feel better with the commander towing than a GC...

But that's just what I have heard...

The Commander and GC have the same wheelbase, in fact they are the same vehicle under the body. The Commander is longer than the GC due to more overhang behind the rear axle. Towing capacities are identical as well.

The Commander and GC have the same wheelbase, in fact they are the same vehicle under the body. The Commander is longer than the GC due to more overhang behind the rear axle. Towing capacities are identical as well.
the commander weighs a bit more, witch is one upside to towing another vehicle. you always want the tow vehicle to weigh more to resist wind while towing. but yes they are very similer on paper.

the commander has more interior space!

I can't speak for the 5.7, but the 4.7 has a piss-poor track record in my book. My brother-in-law bought a 2000 WJ with the 4.7L last fall and my wife liked it so much we started to look for one for her. In my searching, I found plenty of WJ's that were either being parted out or selling for cheap because they had developed rod knock. We bought one anyway hoping for the best. So far we've been happy with it, but only two months ago my BIL's WJ developed rod knock. We pulled the pan and found the connecting rod bearings on cylinders 7, 5 and 4 were all loose enough for me to wiggle them by hand.

Whatever the issue is with the earlier 4.7s may be fixed now, but I'd be hesitant to bet on it a second time.

Yep, I knew that the 4.7L WJ's had issues. Right now we are looking at a 5.7 Commander since that is all they have on the lot.

I had a 2001 durango with the 4.7, while it was a powerfull motor that i felt would tow my xj just fine, it DID have downsides. i bought it with 150k and it was consuming 2qts of oil between changes, when i traded it in at 175k it was consuming 3qts of oil every 1k. that is ALOT of oil to be burning, oddly, i never had blue smoke.. coolant was always clean, and it didnt leak a drop!

Im also not a fan of the 45rfe transmission that comes with the 4.7, while i have heard good things about it, mine had problems. the transmission shop i took it too said it was likely a broken "Snap ring" between gear packs (heh?) and its a common problem with the 45rfe.

Yep, I knew that the 4.7L WJ's had issues. Right now we are looking at a 5.7 Commander since that is all they have on the lot.

The 5.7 has MDS right? I would rather have that than a 4.7. A v8 is a v8 they all drink gas so you may as well get the bigger one! I saw a WK pulling a wrangler on at least 37's last weekend. I would go for the diesel GC or a Hemi Commander.

The 5.7 has MDS right? I would rather have that than a 4.7. A v8 is a v8 they all drink gas so you may as well get the bigger one! I saw a WK pulling a wrangler on at least 37's last weekend. I would go for the diesel GC or a Hemi Commander.

Oddly enough my dealer said to stay away from the GC diesel, they have fuel system issues that get costly. They also no longer make the GC diesel and I can't get the lifetime warranty on a used one.

Oddly enough my dealer said to stay away from the GC diesel, they have fuel system issues that get costly. They also no longer make the GC diesel and I can't get the lifetime warranty on a used one.

That could be true. Lifetime warranty wouldn't apply to any diesel anyways. The Cummins powered Dodge trucks aren't covered under the lifetime warranty either. I am pretty sure the Hemi has the multi displacement system in the XK and WK. You might have a couple less MPG in town than the 4.7 but you'd make up for it on the highway running on 4 cylinders.

It says on Jeep's website that the 3.7 v6 gets 14 city 19 highway. The Hemi gets 13 city 19 highway. Obvious choice! :D

We used to own a 4.7 Commander and now own a 5.7 hemi commander...

The 4.7 was great, got about 17-18 mpg average.

The 5.7 is great, gets 15 average (17 yesterday at 80 on the interstate, 20 regularly at 55 on the hwy). I don't believe the MDS has anything to do with mileage. It gets decent mileage for what it is, a flying brick with a 340 hp engine.

I have only towed my ~3000 lb boat with either, but the 5.7 definitely pulls harder.

Our 5.7 has a 1000 larger tow rating as compared to the 4.7, but it also has the tow package where the 4.7 did not.

I would buy either again, but really like the hemi.

Well I "almost" bought a fully loaded brand new, 09' 5.7 Commander but we couldn't get the payments were I wanted them. I drove the Jeep all weekend and fell in love with it. I will get the 5.7 when I get one. I ran out a half a tank of gas driving it hard, the mileage really wasn't that bad.

Well I "almost" bought a fully loaded brand new, 09' 5.7 Commander but we couldn't get the payments were I wanted them. I drove the Jeep all weekend and fell in love with it. I will get the 5.7 when I get one. I ran out a half a tank of gas driving it hard, the mileage really wasn't that bad.

Right on, With the oh-ten's I didn't even see a 4.7 option on Jeep's site.

If you want something to tow, why not get a GC with a CRD, or better yet.. A Ram with a cummins. Can tow more, gets better mileage, and can carry more stuff also.

If you want something to tow, why not get a GC with a CRD, or better yet.. A Ram with a cummins. Can tow more, gets better mileage, and can carry more stuff also.

My dealer, who is very honest with me since we are both Jeep guys, says to stay away from the CRD GC's. They have fuel system issues that are expensive to fix. They no longer make the 3.0 GC's either.

A truck is out of the question, this will be "all around use" vehicle for everything family related. We often take 1000+ round trips as a family and need room to stretch and room for luggage. Towing is the 3rd consideration for this vehicle.

1st, interior room to seat 4 comfortably, we do not need a entertainment system since the kids bring their own iPods, DVD players. Our van has the entertainment system now and we never use it.

2nd, enclosed cargo room, we carry a good amount of luggage and no matter where we go my wife seems to find something else to buy and bring back.

3rd, towing, I need to be able to handle a 4k trail rig XJ and trailer safely. It doesnt have to be the most comfortable towing experience just so long as its safe.

4th, it needs to be small enough or manueverable enough for everyday suburban/city driving and can fit into the average parking space.

The 5.7 Commander fits the criteria very good, I also like the Nissan Armada, Ford Expedition, Tahoe/Yukon, and the 5.7 Durango. I'm try to stay loyal to the Jeep brand though.

Well I bit the bullet and bought a Hemi Commander!

My wife and I just bought a brand new 09 5.7 Commander yesterday. Its fully loaded with tow package (7400), back-up cam, nav, moonroof, heated front and rear leather, third row, built in power inverter, QT 2 4wd, trailer sway control, and a bunch of other stuff. We traded the minivan that I've been driving and I will be driving either the 08 Wrangler or my 90 XJ on a daily basis and using the Commander for towing duties.

P1020166-1.jpg

P1020169-1.jpg

awesome ride!!
i`ve been studying another tow vehicle as well ( current tv is a `98 gc w/ v8 ). we don`t tow as heavy a unit as we used too with the dodge cc dually 4x4 diesel. man,i like smaller stuff more than i remember, much less aggravation !
i haven`t put much time behind the wheel of a commander so lay the skinny on us asap please.

Back