• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

02 WJ 4.0 good base?

Well actually it'd be in a TJ. This is just the engine. I've been told the 2000s and 01's were prone to head cracking but just wanted to check. He says its got 80k miles and needs a valve job and head gasket. If its decent I might just run it. But really itching to do a 4.6.

Supposedly the factory fixed the bad 0331 head casting in 03 or 04. I know that there are some difficulties putting a WJ block into an XJ, but I don't know about a TJ.

If it needs a valve job and head gasket and.or you are planning to build a stroker I would try to find a block out of a TJ instead of the WJ one.

i got a 03 TJ engine in my XJ. it was taken out of a wrangler then into a WJ then into my jeep. it runs great it had 60000 miles on it. i had to put a head gasket and waterpump on it. the head is slighlty warped to i will have to get it milled. its great because now the alternator is on top away from water. id say go for it

So that 03 engine has the alt on the top of the engine? My 2.5 is torwards the bottom end but hasn't been a problem. This 4.0 should be the same. How are the intake manifolds on the 02's?

Back