• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 XJ Died Tonight.

Eliminator89

NAXJA Forum User
It was a bad scene.

Car in the opposite lane, out of control, spinng like a top on the wet pavement, jumps the low berm seperating the different lanes on travel. I had nowhere to go and no time to get there. Not even time for my life to flash before my eyes. Probably for the best, it would have been a pathetic show.

I didn't get a look at the Cherokee before the ambulance took me away but I did see it from the inside and it was not pretty.

It is toast. Gone to that great trail in the sky. It is an ex-Cherokee.

No pics yet as I just got home from the ER. I'll snap a few tomorrow. I've been a member here for a while now but just don't post much. Not much has gone wrong and I don't really modify it, so I generally don't have much to offer. But if you search my posts, you'll see what happened to my last '01. Same year and color but a different Cherokee. Maybe I should try a different color this time around?

Oh boy do I hurt. Doc gave me some drugs though. I'm gonna take them now.

As much as I hurt and as much as I whine to myself sitting here, I feel really bad for the folks in the other car. They all lived but they were all beat up pretty bad. I can only hope they come through this ok. Airbag, seat belts, crush zone all did their thing and I'm at home. The other folks are not.

It was a bad scene.

Bummer, but glad to see you are still able to post. Enjoy the meds, heal, get better... then find another XJ. It saved your butt this time, why not give it another go.

It was raining pretty good and this damn section of highway tends to collect rain water along either side of the low berm seperating the different lanes of travel. So if you are in the left hand lane, you have to watch your driver's side for collected rainwater on the road.

Bad design. Bad DOT that won't do anything about it. It was our turn.

Good to hear you are okay, although you'll probably be a bit stiff over the next few days. The XJ is replaceable...

Yeah Gigantor, stiff is the word! ;) had to literally crawl out of bed this morning.

Got a look at the Cherokee this morning. :(

DSC00640.jpg

DSC00639.jpg

What hit me used to be a Cavakier. It was destroyed!

DSC00663.jpg

Now the shopping for a replacement begins. I'm leaning towards a '97-'99 to avoid the bad heads on the '00 and '01's. I've had two '01s and never a problem with the heads but one overheat would be all it'll take from what I understand.

So, off to the search function! Hey, if anyone within 300 miles of Winona, mn knows of a good one for sale....

I would like to stay away from Sierra Pearl paint. Both my '01s were that color and things didn't end well for either. So, color really isn't and issue otherwise. I am partial to the green Jeep used. 4.0, auto, sport or better trim, trailer hitch would be nice, pretty much stock.

That was a pretty terrific impact. Look at how far the side of the Cavalier was pushed in. The rear tires on that Cavalier are smooth, really very little tread. No wonder she spun around in the rain.

Insurance is offering $5200 for my Cherokee.

sorry to hear man, im in your same shoes now still recovering, at least you still got your ass & a car is a car.....

onlidII.jpg

Glad you are ok, but sorry for the loss of your Jeep.

My XJ is the Sienna Pearlcoat! Hopefully I can avoid the fate of your two previous Jeeps.

MrShaft, you are so right about still having my ass. This was a serious impact but I basically walked away. Seatbelts, airbags, crush zones..all workes as designed and thank God. If I had been in the old '66 Mustang...no shoulder straps, no bags, no crush zones, not even a collapsable steering coloumn. I think I'm gonna be selling this Mustang.

HAH, nah I didt hit the brakes at all. All that happened was someone wasnt paying attention & rear ended me. The rear of the truck lifted up off the ground because the car was so low (truck is so light) & my rear end was on the cars hood. When he hit the brakes it dropped off the hood kind of crooked, truck flopped onto its side, then top, and hit the wall, next thing i know i was 180 deg upside down and back into the center lane.

MrShaft, you are so right about still having my ass. This was a serious impact but I basically walked away. Seatbelts, airbags, crush zones..all workes as designed and thank God. If I had been in the old '66 Mustang...no shoulder straps, no bags, no crush zones, not even a collapsable steering coloumn. I think I'm gonna be selling this Mustang.

makes you think for sure, might just want to cage the daily driver just to protect myself from other people.

your jeep after pic is really bad, airbag deployed & everthing, this is my after pic
jeep015.jpg

My first Jeep:
S7300689.jpg

The benz that belonged to the drunk that pulled in front of me:
S7300697.jpg

Wearing your seatbelt is key!

Last edited:
Back