• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'00 dies when we slow down

mine was doing that same thing replaced every sencor and cleaned the tb Finally had a shop do a diagnostic and turned out to be bad egr valve all fixed know. When ever i would come to stop light or in traffic my idle would drop and most of the time stall but sotimes it would catch it self and idel normally

goodburbon said:
there is no EGR valve on the xj.......

There is on the Renix(1987-1990)ones...

Rufies97XJ said:
After three days... it has not died on us.
So... hopefully cleaning out the throttle body did the trick.. it was pretty dirty in there.
thanks all. :cheers:

Sounds good; hopefully this has done the trick. But just in case, two easy things you might try:

1) Clean the IAC. The item cleaned with a wire brush referred to earlier in the thread was the ISM (Idle Stepper Motor) which is an entirely different beast. For pointers on how to clean the IAC, see this post.

2) *Carefully* degrease the area around and including the pickup for the CPS. I've seen a couple of XJs with long-term oil leaks from the valve cover where the grime buildup from oil running down onto the CPS has prevented it from picking up a signal properly. Carefully clean the general area (i.e., avoid mega-high-pressure sprays) and it works again.

Just my $0.02.

I didn't do a search, and revive an old thread without first being sure that the solutions had not been tried/or ruled irrelevant.

I have no problems at idle, my problem is when I try to accelerate from idle, and this was the most relevant thread turned up by search.

Back