• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trip Report - Wooley's Jan 31

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
We had this trip planned for a long time but unfortunately LBL was closed due to the recent snow and ice storms that happened earlier in the week. Since LBL was closed, a change was made at the last minute to go to Wooley's OHV Park. This report will be from my perspective of events.

My (PacificEd) day began at 4am getting the XJ packed and ready. I haven't been trail riding in a rig of my own in years so I got a little behind in my packing. I was supposed to meet Mark (high2by) and family at the I-24 and 840 intersection. I was a little late and he was cold so he took off ahead of me.

We caught up with each other at the Cracker Barrel at exit 46. We were early by 30 minutes. Matt (mbogosia) and Eric (trail rate this) arrived shortly. We all had a good breakfast (you can't go wrong at Cracker Barrel).

In all, we had 4 XJ's show up. Mark's built-to-the-hilt '89, Matt's nice '99, Eric's slick '98, and my bone stock '88.

We were the first group to arrive at Wooley's. It was about 20* out and the ground was partially frozen but the sun was beginning to warm things up at bit. We aired down and headed out.

The first thing we noticed is that is was greasy. The sun was beginning to melt the frozen ground and it was pretty soft. By afternoon the trails had begun to dry out and we had even more fun. It ended up being in the 50's by lunch. A beatiful day for sure.

Everyone had limited slips or some type of locker in the group.....except me. My XJ is a DD driver so I didn't want to tear it up. At the first challenge I realized wheel speed was my best friend. My previous wheeler had lockers front and rear and I just pointed and went. Today was different. After learning to "give it some mojo", the day was pretty great.

Everyone had a great time and we covered all kinds of trails from rock gardens to hill climbs and everything in between. Some trails everyone did and some watched while others attempted.

I had to be tugged a few times after getting sideways. I threw a lot of rocks for Mark. Matt isn't afraid of trying anything. Eric had a LS in the rear and walked everything.

Things I learned:

Mark needs to slow down going down slick sheets of mud.
Car keys are found in pockets.
Eric has the coolest English Bulldog.
When you have a stock XJ, be in the middle of the pack.
I need lockers, skids, lift, tires, etc.
I think having a D35 is what made my stock XJ so capable.
When you fall (not once but twice), muddy ground eases the blow.
I like Rubber Duck not Rubber Ducky.

Trail carnage was minimal considering how slick it was. Matt busted a pass side mirror. Mark dented his driver door and broke his drivers tailight (on the same obsticle) and his alternator quit charging (maybe from all the muddy water). I hit a log so my steering wheel is crooked now (I know...boo hoo). I can't remember anything else.

I had a great time and can't wait until next time.

Mark has some pics so we will wait for him to post them up. He also has some video.

Last edited:
We had a great time. The mud in the morning was a pain, but like Ed said it dried up towards the afternoon. Sunday was probably perfect out there. I was happy with my jeep. I got up some good size rocks and made it through some deep mud as well. I am starting to see that I could use a locker up front as well. I didn't bring a camera for this one so no pictures yet.

I had a great time and I didn't loose any glass this trip. A few marks of character were added but all in all it was a great trip. I am totally impressed with what a stock XJ can do. They were truly bred to off road!!!

Sorry for no pics yet. Home computer is down and I can't upload from here (work). As soon as I get it up and going I'll have pics.

I like Eric's dog. I wonder if the CB tasted THAT good?
Dang keys can hide right were you most expect them to, right Matt?
Mr. Pres, skinny pedal all the way!!! Hey, it works.

As for me, I built my Jeep to try anything. I think I accomplished that. The good thing, no cable was pulled. The Jeep held up well even though I introduced it to a tree and a few new rocks. I can't wait to go again!

Gas ---$30.00
Alternator---$50.00
Rear tail light--$15.00
Mirror---$15.00
Cracker Barrell--$10.00

Expression on daughters face when sliding down the hill sideways----Priceless

Sounds like a good time.

Just curious about what tires you all were running? My BFG A/Ts absolutely suck in the mud.

PacificEd: P235/75R15 Nokian Vatiiva (considered an AT)
high2by: 35/1250R15 Nokian Vatiiva MT
mbogosian: 33/1050R15 BFG KM MT
trail rate this: 33/1250R15 BFG AT (I think the size is correct)

trail rate this didn't seem to have any problems at all in the goo. He led the group around most of the morning while everything was slick.

Last edited:
Last time I got into the mud with my A/Ts, they clogged up really bad and wouldn't self-clean. I want a set of Wrangler M/Ts. They are so sweet.

I looked into getting some Treadwrights, but I was wary of the re-tread. I've never heard of a story of one blowing out on the Interstate, though.

I should have some pictures to post tonight if all goes well.

It was good to get out and ride. After a little work I'll be ready to go again. Well, I just have to replace alternators.

What were they thinking in putting the alternator so low for???????

I replaced mine a couple weeks ago and If I didn't have the skid plate it would have been a breeze. I tried to do it without removing the skid and finally realized it wouldn't work.

You think about relocating it? There's been a few threads on here about it.

I haven't. Really, I didn't even know you could. I might need to look into it if it's not too hard to do.

I'll see if I can find it then. Thanks!!!!

I looked into getting some Treadwrights, but I was wary of the re-tread. I've never heard of a story of one blowing out on the Interstate, though.

They work just fine...its basically the same process as creating a new tire, except they use a used carcass (only ones in good shape). I bought 2, 31" mtr look alikes from them, got them shipped to my door for 180 bux or so...no problems with them. Customer service with the company is excelllent. They balanced better than my normal mtr's in the rear, and rode super smooth.

we want pics...some of us were sick and couldnt go!!!

Did you guys slide down that first hill you come to, next to the big field (across the road from the check in center)? Major white knuckle point when its muddy...just wants to slide you down sideways...and you are slightly offcamber the whole time.

Hope to make it to the next one...no matter what im driving :peace:

Did you guys slide down that first hill you come to, next to the big field (across the road from the check in center)? Major white knuckle point when its muddy...just wants to slide you down sideways...and you are slightly offcamber the whole time.

Yep is was a lot of fun going down. Mark went down almost sideways and looking like it was going to roll a few times. It is the same hill I learned how to drift going uphill.

I had a great time and I didn't loose any glass this trip. A few marks of character were added but all in all it was a great trip. I am totally impressed with what a stock XJ can do. They were truly bred to off road!!!

Sorry for no pics yet. Home computer is down and I can't upload from here (work). As soon as I get it up and going I'll have pics.

I like Eric's dog. I wonder if the CB tasted THAT good?
Dang keys can hide right were you most expect them to, right Matt?
Mr. Pres, skinny pedal all the way!!! Hey, it works.

As for me, I built my Jeep to try anything. I think I accomplished that. The good thing, no cable was pulled. The Jeep held up well even though I introduced it to a tree and a few new rocks. I can't wait to go again!

Gas ---$30.00
Alternator---$50.00
Rear tail light--$15.00
Mirror---$15.00
Cracker Barrell--$10.00

Expression on daughters face when sliding down the hill sideways----Priceless

Hey man just food for thought but I resently replaced my alternator because it went bad and O'Reilys has an 100 amp for around $80. Just figured I would let ya know.

Back