• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 Doubler

stumpbum21

NAXJA Forum User
I found this thread on the CO chapter page.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=972481&highlight=DANA+300.
I was wondering if it was possible to swap the stock 2.72 planetary for a 4.0 planetary like the TeraFlex 231LO has? If so, you could build a low buck Klune V.:cool: I e-mailed TeraFlex, but haven't heard back yet. Has anyone tried this?:us:

Doubler 4.0
NP231 2.72
10.88 crawl ratio:clap:

The doubler is a totally separate issue from the 4:1 planetary!

Pretty sure he's talking about putting the 4:1 planetary into the doubler. ;)
Like I said,one has nothing to do with the other!

Like I said,one has nothing to do with the other!
The 4:1 planetary would replace the 2.72:1 planetray in the reduction housing. Get your t-case anatomy straight b/f you post.:dunce:

putting a 4 to 1 into the front of a 231 is a really bad idea they just wont take that kind of torque for long...
themud
if you do it though take pictures when it goes booommm.:clap:

The 4:1 planetary would replace the 2.72:1 planetray in the reduction housing. Get your t-case anatomy straight b/f you post.:dunce:
I have 4:1 in both my cases?It still has nothing to do with a doubler kit?

Last edited:
The question is; "Is there a 4.0:1 reduction planetary gearset that will replace the 2.72:1 gear set in an NP231 case?" Like the TeraFlex case, minus the case. The doubler kit is not integral to the question.:twak:I intend to place the 4:1 gearset into a case that has meen modified into a reduction housing only. Thus, a doubler.:us:

Last edited:
you wouldn't want the 4:1 in front of the 231 IMO. I woudn't want 2.7 in front of the 231 but thats a different story. Either way it would be better to have the 4:1 in the second case.

Eh I think I get what your saying but I don't think anyone makes a kit that will allow you to replace just the gears without a whole new backhalf. Does that answer your question?

-Alex

Eh I think I get what your saying but I don't think anyone makes a kit that will allow you to replace just the gears without a whole new backhalf. Does that answer your question?

-Alex
The back half of the case handles the mode (2/4), the front handles the range (HI/LO). The doubler kit I've been talking about cuts up the NP231 and does away with the back half of the case.:us:
http://www.rockhardxj.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1686
this thread details the build.

teraflex warns against running past 2500RPM, hence the 4to1 would be 10,000RPM on the plainataries, with two 4to 1's = 1250 rpm???or even 4 to 1+2.72 :flame:.good luck keeping it oiled .

teraflex warns against running past 2500RPM, hence the 4to1 would be 10,000RPM on the plainataries, with two 4to 1's = 1250 rpm???or even 4 to 1+2.72 :flame:.good luck keeping it oiled .
Gear reduction math:
The reduction nets you an increase in touque; 200# into a 4:1 gearset will be 800# on the output shaft.
If input speed into a 4:1 planetary is 1000RPM output speed will be 250Rpm (1000/4).
:paperwork
So I'm not worried about overspeeding either set of planetaries. Though it seems that the stock NP231 will explode long before that happens.
Since everyone seems to agree thet the NP231 is too weak I'm thinking of another route. Klune V in front of a Bronco Dana 20. Here's the link http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/Klune-V_Bronco_D20_combo.htm
Pricey, but a very stout solution.:cool::us:

Planetary is turning 4x the speed of the input shaft -in the teralow hand book. The Tera guy said he sees alot of them come apart with abuse.

On a gear or straight chain driven Xfer, I would agree with you.

The ring gear in the 231 housing isn't meant to be a serviceable item. In the FSM you're supposed to replace the gear and housing as a unit.

It's basically a shrink fit into the bore, and I'd bet that there's no way to remove it without really messing up the case.

Heard back from the TeraFlex guy. Their 4:1 planetary gearset will drop into any NP231 housing, but they want $800 for it. Add that with the cost of the D&D Machine 231 kit and it would be really close to a Klune V.:explosion Oh well.:patriot:

Yep,just buy an Atlas!

Back