• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np231 transfer case, is not staying in 4 low

JESSE A

NAXJA Forum User
I searched for and hour.

I have a 2001 jeep Cherokee with a full traction 6in lift, 33x12.50 bfg mts, AA sye, and full traction rear drive shaft.

I installed the lift and tires and everything worked great went off roading a few times everything worked great.

I recentally had ARB air lockers installed and 456 gearing, front and rear,and a full traction skid plate, now the 4low keeps popping out whenever i put it back in gear from neutral, when i try to put the 4 wheel drive leaver back into 4low it grinds.

Its hard to describe, any help would be great, my buddies wrangler did the same thing, he said it just went away but i want to locate the problem.

also i have a Chrysler 825 in the rear and low pinion dad 30 up front,

Thanks for the help.

I'll bet you your next paycheck that your Xfer case adjustment is out of whack.

There is a nut on the little rod that comes out of your shifter linkage. If you back it off, put the actual shifter handle in either extreme mode (2wd or 4 lo) an then tighten it will work way more better.

Note: It may require a little tweaking, but eventually you will get it right.

Note2: quit jumping it.

I tried what you said and it kind of made it worse,

before when you put it into 4low and tried going in reverse it would just pop out, now it pops out in forward and reverse.

I s there something that im doing wrong?

thanks for the help

I prefer to adjust the linkage while its in the neutral position.Who did the SYE install and when?You shouldnt have any grinding unless your rolling to fast(Tranmission in neutral),if your not rolling and your getting grinding then your trans output is still turning!

Last edited:
I did the sye my self, and it was when i did the lift everything worked fine i went off roading a few times but after the lockers and gears were installed i started getting problems

Did you confirm the shift pads were in place after you re-installed the shift collars and the shaft fully back in place?
Also check your T-case mount,and make sure you have clearance between the skid and the t-case!

Last edited:
yes, to the best of my knowledge, this is the first sye i have done myself,everything seemed to be working correctly

Back