• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee budget turbo build thread

CSaddict

NAXJA Forum User
Well I finally got around to mocking some shit up on this piece. I wired in the MSD BTM (boost timing master) and Apexi VAFC ahead of time.

The BTM basically retards the timing per lbs of boost. This combats detonation.

The VAFC is a Honda unit by design. It stands for VTEC Air Fuel Controller. This unit does a few things. It can be used to increase or decrease fuel on a load and rpm basis. It will also intecept the MAP signal to the computer and hide boost so the ECU doesn't think there is positive pressure. In its ability to increase or decrease fuel it allows you to use larger injectors and then decrease the duty cycle to inject less fuel back to a stock level.

Here is the BTM mounted in the truck. It intercepts the coil signal and adapts it.
cherokeeturbo003.jpg

Here is where I spliced into the ECU for the air fuel controller. You need to tap onto power, ground, TPS, RPM and splice the MAP wire. You can barely tell its there. All connections are soldered.
cherokeeturbo004.jpg

Here are the BTM adjustment knob and the VAFC in the Jeep.
cherokeeturbo008.jpg

Here's the turbo mounted to the up pipe. I need to make a stout bracket for it but this just about where its going to live.
cherokeeturbo005.jpg

This is the front section of the up pipe. I originally had the pipe to the driver's side but moved it since it didn't look like it would fit my 99 stocker too.
cherokeeturbo006.jpg

Here is my short radius bend since chassisshop.com screwed me on my mandrel donut bend. I just radius cut one. This is just tacked together like everything else. It completely clears the control arm mount and driveshaft when compressed.
cherokeeturbo007.jpg

*subscribed* great work... i wish i could grow a set and make this move myself:looser: btw.. what turbo did you use? The wiring seems to be simple enough but maybe im just oblivious. also, parts dont seem like they would be hard to find either

Just a couple questions...

Are you going to replace that radius cut bend section with mandrel bent? Just think it will flow a lot better.

Are you going to put a heat shield between the turbo and the ECM? Turbo and power steering pump/reservoir? AND wrap the turbo?

What size turbo is that?

And what size intercooler will you run.

Subscribed, I like what I see...

Just a couple questions...

Are you going to replace that radius cut bend section with mandrel bent? Just think it will flow a lot better.

Are you going to put a heat shield between the turbo and the ECM? Turbo and power steering pump/reservoir? AND wrap the turbo?

What size turbo is that?

And what size intercooler will you run.

Subscribed, I like what I see...

No, I'm not going to replace it. It will flow just fine. The turbo will be a bigger obstruction that the pipe will be.

The turbo is getting bagged and the up and down pipe are getting wrapped. The ECM may get sectioned off as well. The power steering lines are getting moved. The P/S pump will not be affected.

No intercooler. There is no good spot to make it effective. I was thinking air/water but its not worth it for 8 lbs on this little turbo. I am instead going to build a custom water/meth injection for it. I already sourced all the parts. To be honest I don't believe it will even need it. Im pulling the plate behind the headlight and am cutting under where the filter is going. The fresh air won't travel that far to pick up much heat. I will monitor the IAT and go from there.

The turbo is a cheap chinese Ebay unit. T3/T04E .63/.60

Great job, would love to see the complete work and your impressions.

Ravi

Great Thread...I want to turbo mine but can't fine someone to do my manifold I already have megasquirt for tuning issues...and a 57 trim turbo but I need a damm manifold too bad i don't have a clue on how to weld....

Great Thread...I want to turbo mine but can't fine someone to do my manifold I already have megasquirt for tuning issues...and a 57 trim turbo but I need a damm manifold too bad i don't have a clue on how to weld....

Looks like Bryson will have a manifold available for you soon. Buy his and it sounds like you are well on your way...

Whereabouts in CT are ya? I have a friend selling a snow performance meth/water kit for cheap if you were interested. I see the throttle body spacer, with a solenoid upgrade you could easily drill/tap the nozzle into there. Hope you have a wideband and boost gauge.

Looks great man. Those worried about the pie cuts have nothing to worry about. You need to realize that pre-turbine pressure is the #1 factor in spooling a turbo, not flow which CSaddict definetly understands.

You can definetly see why I finally decided on a manifold based design. :)Routing a down-pipe, up-pipe, and charge piping while maintaining enough clearance to avoid hot parts touching was EXTREEMLY tough and simply not very feasible to replicate in an XJ chassis. The Wranglers are A LOT easier to fab an up pipe based turbo setup due to their non-unibody construction.

Bryson's has been 2 years in the making. I hope hes coming up with something soon.

More like 3 months if you subtract all the down time over that period that I've spent on other projects lol.

We'll have to meet up at the track when we're done :cheers:

Looks great man. Those worried about the pie cuts have nothing to worry about. You need to realize that pre-turbine pressure is the #1 factor in spooling a turbo, not flow which CSaddict definetly understands.

You can definetly see why I finally decided on a manifold based design. :)Routing a down-pipe, up-pipe, and charge piping while maintaining enough clearance to avoid hot parts touching was EXTREEMLY tough and simply not very feasible to replicate in an XJ chassis. The Wranglers are A LOT easier to fab an up pipe based turbo setup due to their non-unibody construction.

More like 3 months if you subtract all the down time over that period that I've spent on other projects lol.

We'll have to meet up at the track when we're done :cheers:

Track? How about some rocks.

You need to realize that pre-turbine pressure is the #1 factor in spooling a turbo, not flow which CSaddict definetly understands.
You mean turbine pressure ratio ;) . As far as the flow comment, thats tough to say it doesnt depend on flow. Everything Ive seen so far for turbine work has been the change in enthalpies multiplied by the mass flow rate (aka flow times density). Maybe im just interpreting what you said too literally.

CSaddict:
When do you plan on having this thing done and on the road? I'd surely like to see this thing sometime.

I'm quite interested in seeing Bryson's manifold. I've wanted extra power from my 95 ZJ and have considered a stroker. But a turbo CAN have more bang for the buck.

I spent some time working with a couple Dodge Daytona turbos and worked towards adding a turbo to my old V6 Caravan. I never finished that project...

But, one thing the Turbo Dodge community agrees on, even a small intercooler is better than none. I still have a Daytona Turbo 2 intercooler and I think I can find a spot for it in my ZJ.

So a couple questions... Renix or HO electronics, better for boosted apps? I would use a boost referenced adjustable fuel pressure regulator, but not sure which timing retard method to use. Will the 2000 and newer intake work better for boost than the HO intake?

I'm getting a 87 4.0 that doesn't run. I was considering rebuilding it as a stroker. But would consider building it for boost. I won't NEED more than 8 pounds, but do know the thrill of getting away a couple times with 14... And turning the bleed back down again.

Back to watching.

You mean turbine pressure ratio ;) . As far as the flow comment, thats tough to say it doesnt depend on flow. Everything Ive seen so far for turbine work has been the change in enthalpies multiplied by the mass flow rate (aka flow times density). Maybe im just interpreting what you said too literally.

CSaddict:
When do you plan on having this thing done and on the road? I'd surely like to see this thing sometime.

I finished welding the up pipe last night. All I have left to make is the bottom of the down pipe and the bracing. Then its assembly and fighting the heat. My 36 lbs injectors came today. My oil lines will be here by Thursday and my couplers by Friday. Maybe a week or 2 before its driveable. I have a 3 year old son and a 6 month old daughter so I don't get much time to work on it. If I had all the parts and 1 entire day free I could finish it.

I'm quite interested in seeing Bryson's manifold. I've wanted extra power from my 95 ZJ and have considered a stroker. But a turbo CAN have more bang for the buck.

I spent some time working with a couple Dodge Daytona turbos and worked towards adding a turbo to my old V6 Caravan. I never finished that project...

But, one thing the Turbo Dodge community agrees on, even a small intercooler is better than none. I still have a Daytona Turbo 2 intercooler and I think I can find a spot for it in my ZJ.

So a couple questions... Renix or HO electronics, better for boosted apps? I would use a boost referenced adjustable fuel pressure regulator, but not sure which timing retard method to use. Will the 2000 and newer intake work better for boost than the HO intake?

I'm getting a 87 4.0 that doesn't run. I was considering rebuilding it as a stroker. But would consider building it for boost. I won't NEED more than 8 pounds, but do know the thrill of getting away a couple times with 14... And turning the bleed back down again.

Back to watching.

I was going to use an FMU (rising rate fuel regulator) with this build and a pump but changed my mind. I actually still have the FMU. Its sitting in a box.

something just came to mind thanks to a corvette turbo designed as a remote mount. it sits way back on the exhaust pipes. since we dont have alot of room under our hoods it might be something to think about.

I drag the bottom of my rig over rocks. Plus the fact I don't like the use of an eletric oil pump pumping my oil back.

Back