• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't start...

XJTodd

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all...

I just wanted to throw this out there for any ideas of other things I can check to resolve my problem.

I was driving to work last week, when I got a slight hesitation when accelerating from a light...I didn't really know what to think of it as it didn't happen again throughout that drive.
On the way home after work that same day it died while driving down the road. Still had power, so I threw it in N and tried to start it...no go. Once I pulled over rolled to a stop, I tried it again....nothing. Go out, looked for anything loose/timing belt/etc but didn;t notice anything abnormal. Got back in, tried again and it fired right up. Drove it home without a single blink. I noticed that my gas light was on and thought maybe by gauge was off and maybe I was more/less out of gas. I put what little bit I had from my can in the garage to make sure I could make it to the gas station, and went and filled up. After getting gas it started right up, no prob. Drove home fine. Next morning when I went to leave, I couldn't get it to start at all and havne't since.

I was out of town since then and am going to check it out tonight, but was wondering if anyone can give me any ideas other than what I'm thinking.

Fuel pump/filter? Ignition Coil? (Yes, I'm going to check the fuses too)

Any ideas of things to check would surely be appreciated!

Thanks!

battery? i had the same situation when i sold mine to troy all he said it needed was the fuel tank purged and a new bat.. just a suggestion

What year? Sounds like the CPS to me. If it happens again, unplug the CPS from the harness, and plug it back in.

Fred

What year? Sounds like the CPS to me. If it happens again, unplug the CPS from the harness, and plug it back in.

Fred

X2 or just replace it.

I'm assuming it cranks the engine, but it won't fire up?

Have you pressed the throttle to the floor while cranking? Does it start when you do that? If so, it's likely the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) which is on the back (firewall side) of the throttle body.

If you get nothing using the throttle, check for spark. If no spark, then it's likely the Crank Position Sensor (CPS) which is located on the driver's side top of the bell housing. Pain in the ass to get to.......

Has the computer set the check engine light? If so, call to find a Checker, Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts to see which one has a code reader - they'll scan it for free.

If no code, then disconnect the battery for a few minutes then reconnect and try to start it.

Does it crank?

Yeah, it cranks fine. Just wont start or even turn over once.

In fact, I went to put it in the garage to start checking things out, and this time I turned the key to on (without starting it) being sure to listen for the fuel pump to prime then turned it off and did it again a few more times. This time it started right up. But as I was moving it around and backing in to the garage it died on me again, but started right back up.

Could this really be a symptom of the CPS if I can get it started? What role does that CPS have in the running of the motor? What about it being bad would prevent it from stating and or running?

I'm still leaning toward the fuel pump, but checking other stuff before I have to try and drop a FULL gas tank. I've seen some negativity toward aftermarket (Autzone/Checker/etc) fuel pumps vs. Mopar/dealer ones. Anyone have any experience with either/or both?

The position of the crank is directly connected to position of all 6 cylinders for ignition and if the ECM gets that wrong your motor will be a pile of bent and twisted junk!! So if the ECM cannot talk to the CPS it will not send electrical current through coils/plugs igniting your fuel/air mixture.....:patriot:

I see...would I know by how the motor is running? Seems like if something was off I would surely know it. It seems to be purring like normal, when I can get it started.

Anyone have any input on the fuel pump? I've heard the Mopar one is $$$$$.

A failing CPS will act like that. I really think it is your CPS! It is located about the 11 o-clock position on the bellhousing.

ok... I haven't had time to look at anything yet really, hopefully tonight. So I can take a look at it, but other than some sort of damage to it, how will I know if it's bad or not? Is there a good/easy way to test it?

Just as an update to this thread, I checked out the CPS, kinda.

From the link that you sent me as well as some other articles I google'd, I'm not finding what I they say I should be. The articles say are saying that the CPS should run up and plug into somewhere under the intake manifold. This isn't the case, from the sensor (which is a PITA to get to) there is a 6"-8" length of it's wires to the harness. from there it goes over top of the tranny and connects up with some others and up to the passenger side of engine compartment, where it connects up with even more wiring. It never really plug in to anything anywhere else. I couldn't get a DMM into that little spot where the harness is near the sensor to test it. I did my best to clean it a little bit (in case it needed it for some reason) and plugged it back in.

Aside from that, I got also ran a CodeScanner on it and got a clean bill of health there.

I don't know what to take from the wierd occurences that day, but I took it out over the weekend and drove it around town running errands without a single hint of anything going on still.

I'm a little worried about "if the ECM gets that wrong your motor will be a pile of bent and twisted junk!!"...should I be?

Of coarse the newest CPS I have changed has been on a 94. So maybe they changed it.

It is still in the 11oclock position on the bell housing. A fuel deliviery problem is possible BUT his symptoms very much sound like CPS.

No worries about your engine being destroyed.....that is why it WILL NOT do anything if the ECM cannot communicate with the CPS!

This isn't a CPS problem. When they go, they go and it won't start again until the sensor is replaced.

Occasional problems like you're having suggests the Throttle Position Sensor. They can act up and not set a CEL (check engine light).

Again, if you get the no start situation - try pressing the accelerator to the floor. If it starts after doing that, my money's on it being a bad TPS.

Back